Automated Birthday Emails: Trouble collecting birthdays using Shopify - Shopsync - Mailchimp

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

I have been troubleshooting setting up fully automated birthday emails for almost a year now.

I use ShopSync and it works perfectly to send sign-ups to Mailchimp - except for birthdays. I have been  entering them manually into Mailchimp.

Has anyone figured out how to collect birthdays from a Create Account form on your store in a way that can sync to Mailchimp? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Kate,

I got it working! The key is to keep the same format, either MM/DD or DD/MM, both in Shopify and Mailchmp. To achieve this I set the birthday input as:

<input id="Birthday" name="customer[note]" placeholder="MM/DD">

Notice that the input name is customer[note] while in your from it's customer[note][Birthday]. You'd have to drop [Brithday] as it adds the additional "Birthday:" to the note. You'll also have to remove type="date" because it's producing a full date, including year, while only day and month are allowed for a birthday merge tag.

After these adjustments mapping Customer Note to BIRTHDAY merge tag works smoothly. Take a look at my screenshots for comparison.

Birthday merge tag settings in MailchimpBirthday merge tag settings in Mailchimp

Merge tags mapping in ShopSyncMerge tags mapping in ShopSync

Birthday as Customer Note in ShopifyBirthday as Customer Note in Shopify

Contact Birthday in MailchimpContact Birthday in Mailchimp

Hope this helps,

Lukasz

I'm a software engineer. I make things happen automatically.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

Thank you SO much, Lukasz!  I've successfully updated the date in my form now and the note is going into the customer information in the proper format.

But for some reason, in my ShopSync app, the Merge Tags settings section is completely missing? I've reached out to ShopSync and I also tried Force Resync.  But I think I am almost there... thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted

The Merge Tags sections appears only in the initial setup. You'd have to disconnect ShopSync from your Mailchimp account and connect again to see the Merge Tags sections.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Very clear explanation and it is FINALLY working! Yay! :)

0 Likes

Awesome! I'm glad I could help :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Oh thanks, I found useful information and for me too. I also use Mailchimp for sending work and birthday emails. For some contacts I has been entering the information manually. And now I knew how to fix this trouble. I want to say that how much easily our life become with these applications. I mean that before we used to do everything manually. All records, all contacts, all emails, all were written by people themselves. But now everything is automated and it is very convenient. I recently congratulated several of my employees, and it took just a couple of hours to organize the gifts. Emails with the congratulations were sent automatically, and I only had to order a couple of jet gift crafted baskets. I always order them on this website, they provide excellent and fast delivery, and payment online by card. So, you can do all this from your office.

0 Likes