Automatically email personalized discount code with newsletter signup (Mailchimp)

Tourist
6 0 1

Hi!

I'm using Mailchimp for newsletter signups on my site. I wanted to know how I could automatically send a personalized one time use discount code with the first "Welcome" email I send to the customer who signs up. Could this be achieved through Mailchimp? Shopify?

(Once the customer signs up on my website, a discount code would be generated, and then with the first email I send to the person, the code would be attached)

Thanks,

Zach

1 Like
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
6 0 1

Hey there Zach!

Sam here from Shopify. 

You're in for a treat! I have a full tutorial here showing you how to create unique discount codes for emails with Shopify and MailChimp.

You'll need the MailChimp app, and the Bulk Discounts app for this. The Bulk Discounts app will allow you to export a set of discount codes you can then use with MailChimp, to offer unique one-time use codes for customers. They work together really well! Check out the tutorial and have a look for yourself. :)

I hope this helps! Best of luck, Zach!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
17 0 3

Hi Sam,

I understand that this tutorial helps you send a personalised discount voucher to all your "newsletter" customers. However, is there a way to email a discount voucher as soon as the customer signs up to your newsetter?

Thanks,

Nikos

Dress your attitude
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
51 0 10

As far as I know, with MailChimp you can only send a fixed discount code in your welcome emails.

Two other options allow you to send dynamically generated discounts code (one per user) with custom expiry dates etc.:

1. Klavyio - Which I use and recommend

2. Conversio - Which I have already used, might end up a bit cheaper than Klavyio, but not as flexible 

If you have any specific question about these two services please let me know, I've used both.

Hope this helps

- Ahmad

Certified E-Commerce Optimisation and Analytics Expert
0 Likes
12 0 0

Hey guys, we at Vauchar provides the exact solution which is discussed. Our platform integrates with shopify and Mailchimp and will help you insert discount codes directly into the automation mails. You can view the step by step guide to setup the integration by visting here.

0 Likes
5 0 0

Hi all,

I had this problem also. What I did to counter it was create what seemed to be a unique code to the customer (e.g., 5XYJ296) and set it to one use per customer (per email). I know this isn't the most perfect ideal solution, but weighing up the pro's and con's, as well as the effort, resources, and costs of integration another plugin just to have this function, I realised it worked well enough for me.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
51 0 10

Dale, we've been using this technique too and it was very effective.

Just remember to check SERPs for "Yoursite Coupon" every once in a while and change it if you see the code has been leaked and is being published on coupon websites.

- Ahmad

Certified E-Commerce Optimisation and Analytics Expert
1 Like

Hi,

I've created an app to solve specifically this problem. The app is called Personal Discount, and it generates unique discount codes as soon as the customer signs up for your newsletter. It enables you to define a custom code pattern, e.g. WELCOME-XXXXX and the actual codes will be like WELCOME-GR8DL or WELCOME-A2JSO. The codes are being assigned to the list members in MailChimp as a merge tag so you can send them right away in a welcome email through an automated campaign. You can install Personal Discount at https://app.personaldiscount.me/install

Hope that helps,
Lukasz

I'm a software engineer. I make things happen automatically.
2 Likes
1 0 0

how to input discount value of 200 for fixed amount?

0 Likes

Hi Mhar,

This was a bug caused by a validation of percentage discount. I've already fixed it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Lukasz

I'm a software engineer. I make things happen automatically.
0 Likes