Best SEO company for Shopify ???

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
19 0 31

An SEO company I was using a while back told me Shopify is notoriously difficult to optimise in terms of SEO. I have no idea if this is true or if they were just telling me that to make their life easier, but does anyone have any good experience with an SEO company doing excellent work on their shopify site and getting good traffic ? 

Whats the average monthly spend on SEO ?

any tips are gladly welcomed 

thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
33 0 0
What are you mostly wanting to get out of an SEO company for your site?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
19 0 31

Well.....traffic ! 

If I can find a good SEO company that brings in the traffic then it's down to me to look after the conversions. Feel free to fire any suggestions my way :)

thanks ! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
88 0 3

Hi We are an SEO company called Flagship Design - for more information visit- www.flagship-design.com

We frequently contribute on the Shopify forums and have worked with Shopify eCommerce sites :)

We provide free SEO audits and keyword research so please feel free to contact us through the site.

Looking forward to discussing your marketing goals!

Mally - Flagship Design SEO

Shopify design, SEO and online marketing - www.flagship-design.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 1 318

An SEO company I was using a while back told me Shopify is notoriously difficult to optimise in terms of SEO.

That's complete rubbish, or else you were told that several years ago.

You can set your meta information for all of your content in your back-end. Each piece of content gets a SEO section where you can specify title tag, handle (URL) and meta description. The SEO info for your home page is set on your Settings page.

Themes are optimized to be easy to read / understand and index by search engines, they are using semantic markup.

Shopify builds a sitemap for all of your content automatically, and it generates a robots.txt file that tells the search engines about the location of that sitemap.

Shopify uses canonical URLs to avoid duplicate content issues — for example the same product can be accessed within the scope of more than one collection, but a canonical URL on the product page will tell the search engines about the collection-agnostic product URL, tell them to use that URL for the product in the SERPs.

You don't need to hire anyone for this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
88 0 3

Hi Caroline,

I agree, i wouldn't say Shopify is 'notoriously difficult' to optimize for SEO but when working with Shopify clients we do have 3 issues that we need changing according to our methodology to optimize onpage SEO:

1. No ability to add keywords to different pages ( unless manual code/ edit breadcrumb )
2. The homepage uses the Page Title as the H1 tag (unlike all other pages) so cannot set a different H1 tag
3. when pages all have new titles on them, due to the way the site is coded the main page title is also appended to the subpage title making it too long.

Again these are not huge issues as we manage to find workarounds for these from the help of the Shopify support guys !.

What i would say that is hard to crack is that Shopify product images seems to not rank so well compared to other eCommerce platforms.. We have case studies where a client was using a different eccomerce platform, their product images was ranking well on Google images. They then moved to Shopify - all images practically vanished from Google. 6 months later due to some reason moved back to original eCommerce platform - product images were ranking well again within 2 weeks of moving back - all the typical SEO rules were applied to both platforms.

Mally - Flagship Design SEO

Shopify design, SEO and online marketing - www.flagship-design.com
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
33 0 0
Aengus, the reason i ask is because in terms of traffic there are a myriad of strategies. SEO is just one so I always wondered how it became the default to so many. Bringing traffic will depend on the type of product. So what are you selling? What's the key product? And how much traffic would make you happy Realistically within the next three months?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
83 0 3

So what about the fact that Google never indexing images from Shopify generated sitemap? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
83 0 3

Caroline, check: Webmaster Tools > Crawl > Sitemaps, and post screenshot please with indexed images. I want to be sure that images are indexed. 

By the way you are right about Shopify and SEO, it is easy to edit all the stuff, but near impossible for product images IMO.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 1 318

Hey guys!

No ability to add keywords to different pages ( unless manual code/ edit breadcrumb )

Keywords must be added to your content and meta information. Meta keywords have been ignored by search engines for several years.

2. The homepage uses the Page Title as the H1 tag (unlike all other pages) so cannot set a different H1 tag

You sure can add an h1 tag to your home page if the the theme does not have one already, just add it to your index.liquid template. The h1 tag is meant to contain the subject of a page, visible to people who look at the page. The home page of most shops doe not have a relevant subject on the home page other than the shop name. That's why some themes use the shop name as h1 tag on the home page.

3. when pages all have new titles on them, due to the way the site is coded the main page title is also appended to the subpage title making it too long.

That's a matter of straightening out what the theme does in the head element of its theme.liquid file. This is what we recommend themes use: http://docs.shopify.com/support/other/general-information/seo-for-theme-designers

but near impossible for product images IMO.

Use the ALT text for each product image to describe the image. Use filenames that are descriptive. Don't use DISC56465456.jpg, use blue_dress.jpg: http://moz.com/community/q/image-optimization-file-name-important

Search engines will mostly get what an image is about from the context of the image, i.e. the text that's around that image.

I have added as feature request that Shopify generates automatically a sitemap of all product images.

1 Like