Best Ways to Advertise?

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

Hi, I have recently set up my online store with shopify selling personalised photo gifts,

I was just wondering if anyone had some tips on the most effective ways of marketing and advertising an online store? I've been thinking of using google ad words but not sure how effective this would be and i'm not too sure about other suitable alternatives that may be available. I'm also looking at setting up a facebook page.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,  

and here's a link to my website: PersonaliseWise.   Any thoughts about my website would be welcomed also :)

Many thanks,

Conor

Conor Trowsdale, www.personalisewise.com
2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
162 0 5

Hello Conor,

Matt here from the Guru Team! :-)

That is a great question!  You are in luck because Shopify has put together a number of docs to help with marketing and advertising. To help out I did some digging and found them for you here! :-) 

1-https://www.shopify.com/blog/10943153-5-genius-content-marketing-ideas-you-can-steal-today
2-https://www.shopify.com/blog/14749769-11-easy-content-marketing-ideas-you-can-put-into-action-today
3-https://www.shopify.com/blog/10401249-a-beginners-guide-to-content-marketing
4-https://www.shopify.com/blog/9938694-5-ways-ecommerce-sites-are-killing-it-with-content-marketing
5-https://www.shopify.com/blog/5930917-why-great-content-will-increase-ecommerce-sales

I have also heard great things about google ad words and advertising on Facebook as well. At the same time, if interested you can hire one of Shopify's top Marketing/SEO experts to help your store here! :-)

I hope that helps and you have an excellent day! :-)

Matt

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

Thanks Matt!

I've had a read through the articles you've sent me and some others on shopify, big help!!

many thanks,

Conor

Conor Trowsdale, www.personalisewise.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hi Conor,

It looks as though we are in roughly the same industry, we offer laser engraved personalized gifts instead of sublimation like yourself. 

If you would be interested in using our company as a dropshipper we would be happy to consider you. This can also help expand your market in the United States. Take a look at our products and let me know if you are interested in any of them.

Info@haverngifts.com

Mike. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi Connor, I have the same issue because .....  too old perhaps...........  Anyhow, I like his website it is as good as any, clean, lots of white.  Great.  Having said that, doesn't Connor is also entitled - from shopify - to one hour of free help in terms of design and SEO.  I was told every Shopify customer can request that one hour. Am I correct?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
2 0 0

Hi Conor, I'd recommend giving Google Shopping and Bing Shopping a try. Potential customers see your product and your price before clicking, so the conversion rates can be higher than text ads.  I believe Bing Shopping just came out of beta in the UK.  

Also, I'd recommend trying Etsy.  Etsy is a very popular marketplace for personalized product companies.  We have a client selling personalized cutting boards, personalized glasses, personalized flasks, etc generating over $25,000 per month.  One of their interns setup the account, and "accidently" stumbled upon a big opportunity for them.  

Good luck.  

Kurt Prosser

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
2 0 0

Hi Conor, I'd recommend giving Google Shopping and Bing Shopping a try. Potential customers see your product and your price before clicking, so the conversion rates can be higher than text ads.  I believe Bing Shopping just came out of beta in the UK.  However, you may want to optimize your product titles for search before launching the campaign. For example, your product Personalise Wooden Photo Coaster is missing keywords picture and custom.  

Also, I'd recommend trying Etsy.  Etsy is a very popular marketplace for personalized product companies.  We have a client selling personalized cutting boards, personalized glasses, personalized flasks, etc generating over $25,000 per month.  One of their interns setup the account, and "accidently" stumbled upon a big opportunity for them.  

Good luck.  

Kurt Prosser

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey Daniel - I didn't know that every Shopify member can request an hour of design and SEO help - thank you for the info! I'll look into that!

Conor - Cool business concept good for you!  I like your website and think using a handwritten font was a great choice!  I would definitely do a Facebook page - there is just no downside to it. You might think about creating a Pinterest presence too.  You have a very visual business.  I do too and have found Pinterest to be helpful.  You can also apply to Pinterest to have buyable pins - people can buy products right from Pinterest.

As far as advertising - I think you have to figure it out as you go.  But I would look closely at what really gives you an actual return for your money.  It's great to have people go to your site - at least initally - but you really need them to purchase something to make spending money on advertising worthwhile.  I would also go a bit slow while you are figuring it out - otherwise it can be an expensive education.

Good luck! Lisa

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 0 10

Hi Conor,

Congratulations on launching! Just had a look at your site and here are my thoughts.

There are already very established players in this market with literally huge budgets. Shutterfly spends $204,000/month & Shutterfly spends $20,000/month on Adwords.

This means that trying to compete for broad keywords like "personalized gifts" is going to be very costly and unlikely to give you any return for the money you spend on advertising.

My approach would be to not compete for anyone that wants any type of personalized gift.

I would look at all of the customer groups I'm currently selling to and try to focus my marketing efforts on a specific group of them. Maybe it's moms, maybe it are grandparents. 

Or I would focus on a core type of gift and make it clear you're the best in that.

You know your customer best so pick a group that makes sense. That way you'll also have a better idea where to focus your marketing efforts (btw great list of tips Matt!)

And if you do decide to give Adwords a try, please do your research on how not to get burned with it.

Dennis

StoreGrowers.com - no-fluff ecommerce marketing advice
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 5

Hi Conor,

As you have the good fortune of being in a "visual" business, I have it on good authority (from our customers) that Instagram is the go. As they say, a picture paints a thousand words.

I only wish clear packaging bags was good Instagram fodder, but alas, our product is practically invisible :(

Other than that, I can tell you that Facebook does little for us and Google Adwords does well - but we have put time and effort into learning all about it.

All the best, Jorj

crystal clear bags with a sticky self sealing strip
0 Likes