Beyond SEO in Product Descriptions

Highlighted
1 0 0

I am a copywriter and a lot of my clients sell on Shopify. Many people think that product descriptions aren't important or that they're just for SEO. But product descriptions aren't just for SEO. Not only do they evoke emotions in a person when they are written professionally. But product descriptions also give someone who is using a screen reader the ability to 'see' the product without actually seeing it. A picture is worth a thousand words, yes. But for someone who is visually impaired, like my uncle, a picture without the right words won't help them at all. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
228 0 39

Hi, Sharon!

Anders from the Shopify Social Care team here. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here!

You're absolutely right that a solid product description goes far beyond SEO and a simple write up of the product. Not only can the description provide the insights you've shared here but, it can also be used to build on your brand and provide a tone to your brand. Data also shows that a good product description will convert to more sales! In fact, we have a great article on this very subject in our Shopify blog. You can read it here.

Thanks again for bringing this up! 

Anders3 | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I absolutely agree with product description is one of the most important thing in ecommerce products marketing. Yes it does help with SEO but it's important for product sales as well. I have experience many ecommerce stores owner copy paste product descriptions from orignal vendor website and and that's a duplication which can really hurt ecommerce traffice.

0 Likes