Big drop in active items Google Merchant

Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 1

Hi everyone,

Lately I have been noticing a drop in my website's visitors.

I wasn't able to figure out why until I checked my Google Merchants account. It seems that there's a big drop in "Active Items" and there are items expiring.

As you can see below I went from ~1000 active items to only ~100. And I can't figure out why this is the case.

Is there anybody who had the same issue, and how do I solve this?

Thanks a lot!

Knipsel.JPG

0 Likes
Highlighted

If items are under expiring then that means you have not update your SKUs in Google Merchant Center (GMC) in 30 days. At minimum you need to sync GMC with your Shopify store every store days to keep SKUs active. As for the drop in items, I would check the tool or app you are using to sync with your GMC account and make sure that is not causing the issue. If you are not using an app right now to sync GMC and your Shopify store, they are tons of options:

Google Shopping App...or you can see what else is on the Shopify App store. Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know.

We help ecommerce & DTC brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
Highlighted

Agree with Duane here. There is an issue with your product feed. This should be relatively easy to fix by looking at the feed app you are using to see if you are getting errors or change out to a new fee app. 

Please click the like button if my reply was helpful :)
Founder of PromoPrep - Marketing Calendar Software

Find our marketing calendar app in the Shopify App Store
0 Likes

Seeing that the total items have dropped, rather than simply active items, you likely have products removed from the store or some condition at the feed level (check your app) that is excluding products from the feed.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

@anilobmit did you get this resolved?

We're having the same issue. No problems/warnings/errors in the Google Shopping app by Shopify, but an increasing number of expiring items, and active items are dropping off. Merchant Center has no way to filter by "expiring" products, and we have thousands, so it's really difficult to figure out a trend. I'm thinking that the items that are expiring are items that were added to Shopify a long time ago and have not been edited in a while. For whatever reason, the app isn't pushing those older products via Content API, and they're not getting refreshed as a result in Merchant Center.

The best solution I can think of is if we could "shutter" our entire product catalog so that they're all technically updated, but I'm unsure of the best way to go about doing this and editing thousands of products at once sounds nerve-racking to say the least. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

I found a workaround that appears to be working...

In Shopify, I went to Products All Products Select All Select all 50+ products from your store. I added a random tag, 'gs' to all products. It took about 30 minutes, but I can now see a big increase in active products in Merchant Center (from 1647 to 2094), and a decreasing number of expiring products (from 365 to 147). I assume that the trend will continue.

Hopefully this helps others in the future, as I haven't found a solid solution for merchants with hundreds/thousands of products on how to fix an increasing number of expiring products in google merchant center.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 1

Hi!

Issue was solved a couple of days later after opening this topic. Unfortunately there was no clear reason why suddenly all the items were going back to active again.

I also spoke to Shopify technical support about it, they would get back to me if they found the reason. Unfortunately they didn't mail to me about it yet. I'm having the same issue now again, I'll try your workaround see if it also works for me.

I don't know for sure why all products are expiring. I agree that it might have something to do with the older products in store.

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hi Tim, we've been noticing the same issue for the last 3 months.
Shopify have advised us that there is a known issue with their Google Shopping app where products are not automatically renewed within the required 30 day period. The intention of their app is to force renew all products every 20 to 24 days, however this is not occurring. (I'm not sure why they are not commenting here to advise the same)

At this point the fix is to chase Shopify each month and have them force a resync on their end as they have removed the ability for store owners to do that themselves.  I'm assuming your products reappeared as someone reported the issue to them and they bulk resynced many stores.

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Nathan,

Do as I mentioned above... "In Shopify, I went to Products All Products Select All Select all 50+ products from your store. I added a random tag, 'gs' to all products."

Adding a tag to all products, and removing it will push all products back to an active status. Worked perfectly for me.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 2

did you find the issue?  I've been pushing shopify on this for 3 weeks and finally they agree it is from the Shopify side.  He said he'll implement a fix, and resync, but so far nothing.  I dropped 100,000 products in one day!  Please let me know if you've found a solution.

0 Likes