Blog Dilemma - Shopify Blog, Wordpress on Subdomain or Other

K_10
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

So, at a crossroads in terms of choosing a blog -- 

The Shopify blog:

CON -- Does not have the functionality or SEO tools/best practices that a Wordpress blog does. It's a night and day difference.

PRO -- However the blog can sit in a subdirectory at /blog, which builds SEO authority with the store. 

A Wordpress blog:

PRO -- A Wordpress blog would be better in every other way...EXCEPT...

CON -- There is no way to place the blog at /blog. This has been confirmed with Support. The next best option is to place the blog in a subdomain, i.e. blog.store.com. According to Google research, many people believe that subdomains do not share SEO authority (or juice) with the root domain. Although, there is a subset who are unconvinced; see item #4 in and then the comments in this article

The ringers -- Tumblr, Squarespace:

Both are more visual-oriented and media-heavy, great for low-word-count posts, especially Tumblr, and faster to setup than Wordpress. I notice certain exciting fashion and design startups using these: Fab (Tumblr), Warby Parker (Tumblr), Bonobos (Squarespace), Birchbox (Tumblr). Shopify heavyweight Dodocase is on Tumblr as well.

There also Wordpress users like NastyGal, ModCloth, Lot18, One Kings Lane...

The interesting thing is that these merchants are all by and large using subdomains...!

The dilemma...

So...no perfect answer. 

Im leaning towards Wordpress + subdomain but wanted to ask the community what their thoughts were, what they chose and why?

Hopefully, this post will be helpful for others as well so please respond and help me make this a useful thread for the community. =)

Shopify_Craig
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
333 0 26

What SEO best practice does Shopify not include?

Craig

0 Likes
Michiel_Gaaster
Tourist
3 0 2

Hey Craig,

I ran into this thread I was researching Shopify blog functionality on behalf of one my blog readers. She was on Magento and is switching to Shopify. She now want to start a blog and needs to make a choice between Wordpress.org and Shopify blog.

She has been running her store now for a while, has good traction, and is serious about her blogging strategy to grow here eCommerce business. I ended up advising her to go for a WordPress blog and install it as a subdomain (apparantly you can't install it as a sub directory which would be better for SEO. Although this SEO debate is a bit passé in my view. If your content is up to par, your getting shares and you have some links from blog to store and vise versa; Google will figure it out).

I think the Shopify blog functionality you guys offer is OK-ish for starters. For them there's only 2 major things missing: the ability to add categories and the ability to customise the URL. Also archives would be nice.

Generally speaking, the big downside from the Shopify blog compared to WordPress is the lack of plugings & integrations. For instance, I pesonally like my sharing buttons to have counters on it (eg Digg Digg) to showcase social proof. Also, I want great sharing functionality for Pinterest! Also, I would really want to include a sidemap for Google. I want related posts. Etc etc. Also when you want a JQuery slider, you need to put it in hard coded. Etc etc.

So, my verdict: Shopify blog integration; fine for starters. Not for growers & pros.

Are you planning any improvements for the Shopify blog integration?

Best,

Michiel

Check the Shopify app store for: ROBIN - the customer service assistant especially created for web stores.
Shopify_Craig
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
333 0 26

Hi Michiel, 

Instead of categories you can create several blogs on one store, or you can use tags.  

Also, in the case of adding counters to social media buttons, you can edit the liquid source to do so.  The Shopify blog (www.shopify.com/blog) runs using the Shopify platform's blogging software so you really can make it do a lot (eg: related posts, etc.).  We also include all blog posts in your sitemap.xml file.

Craig

0 Likes
Michiel_Gaaster
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi Craig,

Good to hear you can edit the liquid scource to get social counters in.

The category thing is puzzling me though. Categories and Tags (taxonomies) are cornerstone SEO best practices. They are tools to sort out content and help Google as well as humans figure out what a blog is about. Categories are meant for broad grouping of your posts. A blog should only have a few. Tags are meant to decribe specific details of your post. A blog can have many.

So if you run a fashion blog and your categories are Men, Women, Children, Accessories. Your tags can then be: Jeans, Skirts, Sweaters, Socks, etc.

You guys are using Tags as Categories. Why did Shopify choose to set up the blog template like this?

In addition: being able to customise the url of a blog post would be a good development suggestion methinks!

Michiel 

Check the Shopify app store for: ROBIN - the customer service assistant especially created for web stores.
Andrew_Gertig
1 0 4

My problem with Shopify Blog is that it feels a lot like a blog inside of a store and less like a place you would want to create a community. Are there good examples of Shopify blogs that have a vibrant community around them?

LloydJessica_Ki
1 0 0

Is there a way to import a tumblr blog to a shopify page/blog? I wanted to create an 'inspiration' page and love tumblr for its ease of use. Alternatively is there a way to just make a page of pictures that fit next to each other? Hope this makes sense and thanks in advanced for your help!

0 Likes
Coby_Gerstner
1 0 0

Hey Jessica

This should help: http://apps.shopify.com/blogfeeder

0 Likes
Pamela_Martin
1 0 1

Never mind, found what I was looking for, it will work for now.

Amanda_Jungman
3 0 0

Hi Pamela, Could you post what you found? I have the same questions/issues as you. 

0 Likes