Blog as a separate site versus part of your ecommerce site

Excursionist
22 0 4

Russell- a big fan of Scotch and Iron, wondering what other sites you run?

Fred

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 1

My longest internet company is called www.klutchrepublik.com.  We have a line of aftermarket wheels and also resell brands from other suppliers.  

My newest project is a womens fitness brand called www.slfmde.co.  This is very new project and I haven't been able to spend as much time on it as I would like.  Being heavy into Crossfit I would like to focus on this more. 

I also have a tee brand called Arkade Clothing and we sell one design at a time using funnels.  This is also very new. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
60 0 7

First and foremost consider what you are. An ecommerce company. Unless you are building a managzine style web site, the shopify blog on the same domain would be prefered for SEO purposes.

Is it wordpress? No. Does it work? Does for me. https://islandjay.com/blogs/islander-blog
Tweeked some code, looks great, and easily does the job.

0 Likes
16 0 0

I debated this as well... I have a baby and toddler clothing company however parental views can differ dramatically and sometimes my POV can be a bit........ On the edge of acceptable and pushing the boundaries to start a discussion, not neccaessarily soemthing I want related to my company.

HOWEVER, I decided it better to combine the two. It works.

BUT shopify need to sit up and pay attention - the blog functionality is absolute complete and utter crap. My posts look horrendous and I havent the time to be styalising and going HTML cray on a blog post!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1704 47 151

Beginners use the built-in blog

When starting out keep it simple, with more sophisticated over time do the blog as a subdomain. If you've never done it before and your business solely relies on your time investment just stick to the built-in blog till you get more business efficiency. Not to be confused with also using things like tumblr or instagram for marketing as well.

Growing businesses 

Depending on industry|topic having the blog as a completely different domain can be useful, though for the sole-proprieter an initial time sink to learn everything and there are traps like duplicate content and not linking to third parties(aka outbound links)

Also FYI: .blog TLD (domain names) will be available this year https://dotblog.wordpress.com/

@Leanne Curtis-Cobb

the blog functionality is absolute complete and utter crap. My posts look horrendous and I havent the time to be styalising and going HTML cray on a blog post!

The blog is only intended as a basic feature, if the content doesn't look good shopify is not responsible for that unless your using a shopify supported theme that itself has technical issue's seperate from content. Also some themes are just not built with blogging as a priority so what looks good for product looks bad for reading.  The reductive rule is If content looks bad the content is trying to hard. Hit the feedback forum for design advice about the blog.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
1 0 0

It depends on how much time you want to invest. 

By operating several domains you have more to do and a broad fire line - but as a results you gain much higher stability and more value in the long term. Short term this might result in slower growth - but big growth must have a strong base.

Your online shop needs at least 20 texts with more than 500 words to gain relevance in your niche (and relevance brings your online shop SEO traffic).

If you will achieve this anyway, start other channels like a word press blog, a medium blog, Google+ page ect. from beginning. Time is precious online: Register and launch additional domains early. How long a website exists is a relevance criteria for google.

Example: On www.babyhaus24.ch we launched 10 Tripp Trapp products (this famous high chair brand) and some blog articles in 2015. 6 months later (we didn't ad more products or blogs and no advertising) suddenly orders started plopping in. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

I found this article interesting
https://smartblogger.com/seo-mistakes/

Stuff google doesn't like when it comes to blogging.

1 Like
2 0 0

i'm new to shopify and am just working on my store.  I added a number of blog posts but I'm not happy with how it's looking.  I agree the blog feature in Shopify is less than desirable.  but because of the domain mapping, how can I put my blog on a separate subdomain WP installation if the records are pointing to Shopify?  Would I have to self-host my store ?

thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Create the subdomain (blog.yourstore.com) in your domain provider interface (GoDaddy etc.) 

The subdomain will have its own DNS records to point to the WP install.  Your shopify store (www.yourstore.com) will still point to your main domain name. 

1 Like
2 0 0

After I posted the question, I read more about it, and I realized it is more than just a simple answer. I like and appreciate your thoughts. I thnk I will start with the Shopify blog and if I find it limiting for me or I do not like it, I will move to a subdomain.

0 Likes