Blog as a separate site versus part of your ecommerce site

2 0 0

Hi all,

From your experience what would be better to do from a traffic/marketing point of view when using a blog:

1. make the blog part of your ecommerce site, or

2. a separarte blog with its domain name.

My goal is to use the blog to create content tha twould add value to my products an eventually convert visitors to buy. At hte same time, I want to use the blog to create a sense of expertise and increase followers.

Any thoughts? Thanks

-Alaa

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
49 0 10

Hey Alaa,

To get the most out of your blog it's always good to keep your blog on the same domain with your ecommerce site. It will give your site more visisbility on search engines if you can put some good SEO optimized (optimized for long tail keywords your target audience search for) content on your blog.

Here you can find more details in this article: http://www.smartinsights.com/search-engine-optimisation-seo/internal-linking-strategy/which-is-best-...

Regards,

Natwar

P.S. Get a free Social Media audit of your Shopify store

Around.io - Social Media Marketing for Shopify sellers
0 Likes
2 0 0

I went through the same thinking for my website. I wanted to add consulting services as part of my offerings and thought about creating another domain and company name. I came to the conclusion that keeping it on the same website would reduce confusion and already build on my initial offerings. 

Stay consistent and in the same site. 

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 1

I found the Shopify blog to be limited in features because after all Shopify is an ecommerce site not a blogging platform.  My blog runs on a WordPress platform but resides on a sub domain (blog.scotchandiron.com) and my ecommerce is www.scotchandiron.com

I link to my site in every blog post and I can see what people are clicking on to get to our store in Google Analytics using Google tracking URLs. 

I have this setup on three sites right now and been happy. 

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hey Alaa, 

This is a great question and something I've been mulling over myself. Natwar's advice is exactly what I would recommend, that said, I'm also going to mirror my blog content on a Medium page as well. My reason for this is that I enjoy the layout/options/feel more, and the platform itself has a social component that I believe can help create some network effects. 

Of course, the Medium page always links back to the main ecommerce site (in as many places as possible). 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
58 0 4

I suggest keeping it together under the same domain. More traffic and easier SEO. Unless if you have a good reason for it.

For instance, I had to seperate my store from the blog because of the current industry regulations.

Here is my store www.421store.com and here is the main website/blog www.monroeblvd.com.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Can you post a blog on your site and also post the same blog article on another blog?
Or is that seen as duplicate content?

I'm pretty sure you can post the same article in ezine articles (as long as it meets their guidelines and I don't think that's seen as duplicate content.

I'm not sure about this?
So...is posting the same blog post in more than one place a good idea?

I used to do Press releases and get them out to many Press Release sites.

?

0 Likes
3 0 0

I believe in this case it's considered "syndicated content" as opposed to duplicate content I'm not an SEO expert, this is just what I gleaned this from a few Google support links and a few other places.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
18 0 4

Both. With different content entirely on each. The one on the site can be your "expert" blog, and the seperate site blog can be general topics relatd to the products that can link over to those products on yuor site.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
703 0 12

Great topic, and one I wrestled with myself. Basically the problem is that if you want a blog with features, you have to go outside of Shopify, as their blog is basic (fine if that's all you need, but I started blogging first, so wanted more #spoilt). You can't have it on the same domain, so my best other option was a subdomain for the blog - so I'm blog.mydomain.co.uk for the blog and mydomain.co.uk for shopify. I do run the shopify blog, as a basic 'here's some news' feature on my front page, and more content posted on my proper blog. Of course I link to my shop domain as often as possible. The content may be rejigged, or similar at times, but not the same.

I couldn't think of another way of doing it, that I would be happy with, and decided to take the possible hit of the SEO issues. I seem to be doing ok on both, but obviously I have no way of knowing as I have nothing to compare it to.

I would ideally like to have mydomain.co.uk/blog, but I can't do that because of the domain mapping towards the shopify servers.

Keen to know what others think> If I started now, and hadn't already had a blog, I would just do the proper blogging all on my main domain.

jewellery designer-maker & nature inspired photographer | West Yorkshire, UK
0 Likes