Blog as a separate site versus part of your ecommerce site

3 0 0

Here's the thing, you have a store that sells x, but you probably only rank for your brand name and not your products. whats the point of ranking for an unknown brand, vs your quality products.....Subdomain the blog and find out if your site has or can bolt on rss feeds.....content can do wonderful things if you known how..
Matt

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

I work for an online marketing agency and I would certainly recommend keeping your blog on your own site on something like /blog. 

Shopify is limited but if you really have to move it put it onto a subdomain so blog.domain.com at least it will be seen as part of the same site. Avoid all free options like wordpress or bloggr. These place your blog on their own subdomain, you get no SEO benefit from this and they do, besides its hard to promote those blogs efficiently.

For SEO, promotion and growing your following keep it on your domain

0 Likes
3 0 0

if you have a myshopify.com store, you are on a sub domain and bloging from within the store is ok if they have an Rss feed plugin or app, but if you branded your own url and subdomained the blog that is always better and it's not just about writing an article with a link, for starters writing take time and then where does the link go to. do what u do best and let others do the rest...best

Matt

0 Likes
2 0 0

thank you, Russell. :)

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1704 47 151

but because of the domain mapping, how can I put my blog on a separate subdomain WP installation if the records are pointing to Shopify? 

This is normally a matter of creating the subdomain in your domain providers dashboard like russel noted. However depedning on specifics invidiual cases may have more hoops to jump through.

For instance if you registered the domain with shopify the subdomain should be straightforward:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14543582/blog-structure-like-blog-domain-com-on-shopify

That Q&A also shows how with tumblr do basically do all this in "reverse"

Other setups may also need to use an app for redirections like traffic control, or should seriously just consider using the shopify buy button if content marketing via blogging is great enough.

FYI: Anyone setting up (sub)domains for the first time should keep in mind DNS propagation can mean over 24hrs till the new record starts working properly everywhere. So if there's a problem, you may have done everything right and just need patience to verify.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
3 0 0

Lets just say you have a blog on your site and you hire and outsourcer to run the content marketing and he claims he the best because just wants work and will say anything to get it .....the little that he does know doesn't bother him because it won't be his site that get a google penalty for...

• over optimization
  • duplicate content
  • anchor text ratio all screwed up
  • to many images
  • images without alt text

The above can hurt a site just because of the blog!!!!

Put a blog on a subdomain of yours and any site and google can only punish or deindex the sub...as for the expert that said theres no seo value from a web 2.0 property subdmain, like site.wordpress.com is sadlt mistaken. As for the content syndication videos on shopify...give them a miss.

Ecomgorilla

0 Likes
3 0 0

Can you do this with medium.com ?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1704 47 151

gator701 said:

Can you do this with medium.com ?

Can you define "this"?

otherwise contact support@medium.com or even developer@medium.com for advanced options beyond just linking to posts between domains

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes