Can my products have similar titles and descriptions?

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Hi ! 

My name is Lea and I sell welcome signs for parties. 

The thing is, appart from the graphics they contain, my products are very similar so product details (size, printing options, customization instructions...) are always the same.

Also, my titles contain the same main keywords with some variants. 

I have about 500 products. 

Will google treat my products like duplicate, thus making them rank lower. I've looked for a reply to this question everywhere but couldn't find one so if someone has an answer, please let me know :)

Thanks so much!

Lea Melissa

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1236 71 152

Dear leamelissa,

Hope following suggestion will help you.

1. It is better to have unique title and description for each product.

2. Use proper canonical tag

3. NO INDEX meta tag on product pages that you can’t write unique content for

4. Use mousehover effect for same product having different color.

Thanks & Regards

MS Web Designer 

Thanks & Regards
MS Web Designer
Setup Shopify Store @ 129 USD
20000+ Task Completed
1000+ Satisfied Client
9.9*/10 Customer Rating
10*/10 Shopify Services Marketplace
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
19 3 4

I understand your confusion and its a legit question. I managed a store with 2000 products and there can be a problem in rankings. 

However if we be a little creative here. The problem can be solved.

What we do in your particular case depends on your store. Can you share the url here? 

I am writing a book titled "Shopify Marketing like you are 5", it aims to make everything stupidly simple for beginners.

To write content for it, I need to know what your biggest struggle is when it comes to Shopify Marketing ( SEO , Google Ads , Facebook Ads).

If you answer "Whats your biggest Struggle with Shopify Marketing" then I will send you a free copy of the book when its published.
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
29 3 5

Hello @leamelissa 

In simple words, I will say no for duplicate content.

Better, write a bit different short descriptions for each product, if you don't get much idea, you can hire a content writer and they do their job very well.

You can't explain your problem to Google bot, it's a bot so it will consider it duplicate and your google search ranking will be affected.

By the way, if you are planning to get the sales based on Social media ads and google ads, and don't want to focus on organic google traffic, then it's all good, whatever you like you can do.

Checkout Our Bestseller Shopify App
WhatsApp + SMS Notification
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Thank you so much for your reply ! If a product is called "safari baby shower welcome sign", and then another product is called "blue and gold baby shower welcome sign" for example. So one word changes, would google consider this similar titles? Thank you again ! :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Hi Gagan, 

Thanks for replying! Sure, the url is www.wordsandconfetti.com. I have contacted you via email to give you the password (haven't made site public yet since I don't know if it is optimized)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Thank you so much!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
201 13 48

I did a flare check on your website, you have 4 results indexed by Google. But your website has 500+ pages. Before you think of ranking you should ensure your pages are found (indexed by Google). So I would suggest getting your pages found by Google, Bing and other major search engines will be beneficial to you in terms of generating sales from organic searches. While you do that, also use a free tool like ubersuggest to make your page content and meta title/description as unique as is reasonable. Be true to your content though, you may find this blog helpful: https://www.newswire.com/news/be-human-surprising-new-ways-to-get-content-sites-ecommerce-stores-and...

You can submit your sitemap regularly to these major engines, or consider using a convenient tool like the flare that offers many other major benefits.

Hope this was helpful.

Asha

https://MansionEcommerce.com
https://apps.shopify.com/partners/mansion-ecommerce
Driving the next decade of eCommerce
0 Likes
Highlighted

You should check whether "baby shower" is a competitive keyword. If there are many websites ranking for this keyword, it will be very hard for your store to rank top. Regarding your question, you can try to apply slight variations of product content.

TBH I think you should focus more on external backlinks to your store. When there are more websites linking back to your store, your ranking will be boosted effectively. It's much effective than optimizing your content. More effective use of the time I would say. 

SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
0 Likes