Solved

What are the impacts of removing canonical tags in Shopify?

Frankdigital
Excursionist
13 0 3

Hi Guys,

My new client has a canonical tag for every blog that will give more juices to the url/blogs/news (screenshot below)

Frankdigital_0-1614686250505.png

This is not the right way to improve blog traffic for SEO (as the majority of the juices will go to the page /blogs/news). I want to remove that tag.

Would love to understand the main consequences, am I going to have loads of redirects, 404s? Would you recommend me to take another action?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best regards, 

Francesco

Accepted Solution (1)
KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 116

This is an accepted solution.

I wouldn't anticipate much of an impact at all, because if my guess is correct Google will be ignoring those canonicals anyway.

But I would keep an eye on clicks or landing sessions to /news/blog (if there is any) and also segment out all blog posts and keep an eye on their clicks, impressions, positions etc.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 116

Yeah that's dumb. Just set it back to default.

Unless there's some missing context here? Otherwise that setup is just saying, for each blog post: "this blog post is not important, it's just a duplicate of the /blogs/news page". Which makes no sense to me.

I'd say it's likely ignoring those canonicals anyway seeing as they are being used incorrectly with a rule like that seeing as the content on the destination/endpoint canonicals is not similar at all.

Frankdigital
Excursionist
13 0 3

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for your message. 

Totally agree with your point. My last question is: If I delete that line of code (canonical to blogs) what kind of impact will have?

I believe nothing will happen but want to double-check first.

Best regards, 

Francesco

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 116

This is an accepted solution.

I wouldn't anticipate much of an impact at all, because if my guess is correct Google will be ignoring those canonicals anyway.

But I would keep an eye on clicks or landing sessions to /news/blog (if there is any) and also segment out all blog posts and keep an eye on their clicks, impressions, positions etc.

Frankdigital
Excursionist
13 0 3

Thanks, Kieran, 

Really appreciated your recommendations.

Will apply those changes and monitor the performance. 

Best regards, 

Francesco

Beppe2
Visitor
2 0 1

Same for me, i own https://jdm-best.com/ and i have some pages that are tagged canonical (including a collection page) where i don't wan't to and i have no clue about what to do...