Canonical

3 0 0

Hello, we are setting up a dropshipping site and the bulk of our text is a duplicate of the vendor's website. I've been going in circles for days now trying to get assistance with the canonincals. Can someone confirm that I need to put this code in each page with duplicate content <link rel="canonical" href="{{ canonical_url }}"> where canonical_url is the URL of the vendor's site where the content originated? I've added this code to a test page and as soon as I finish typing the code disappears entirely (not visible in HTML view either), any ideas why that is happening?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

You need to add <link rel="canonical" href="{{ canonical_url }}"> within the <head></head> of theme.liquid within the theme editor.

This will implement a canonical URL across every page of the website, and is self-populating based on the liquid variable.

From what you've said, it sounds like you're adding <link rel="canonical" href="{{ canonical_url }}"> within the page description editor, and changing the {{ canonical_url }} variable manually.

Feel free to email me more details and I'll take a deeper look: peter@velstar.co.uk

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 5

Just in case you're not aware: specifying another site's pages as the canonical will replace your pages in SERPs with the other site.  Unless it's something required by the vendor, this will hurt traffic your site more than publishing duplicate content.

My recommendation is to try and paraphrase the content as much as you can in the bulk import before uploading. For large numbers of products, you can even do some sort of "substitute" function for common phrases to make it slightly unique - any little bit helps.  Later, work to rewrite all the descriptions to make it your own.

1 Like
3 0 0

Thank you both for responding. 

0 Likes