Changed from WWW to Non/WWW - SEO Issues

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 0 1

Hi All,

I have a quick question

While putting together our store together our store started with WWW. and we started seeing good results on internet searches, google, bing etc. Our products were showing up on the results, our store name, blog posts etc. 2 Weeks before launch one of us decided to remove www. and set that as default. Since then we are no longer in the search results.

Does anyone have any idea why this is and how long it could take for us to show in the results again?

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi William,

It shouldn't make any difference if you include the www or not in the SERPs, did anythign else change?

Derek

eCommerce Inbound Marketing | Growth Driven Design | www.adonismedia.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
29 0 0

My site had always beeen www and launched with that doamin. First week produced $1300 in sales, so it appeared the move/launch was seamless.

Then devleper changed to non www (without asking or telling me). This created a new property in Google's eyes, and I was hit immediately with 1600 broken links which had to be redirected manually by me.

When I asked "why would you change the domain?" He had no good/solid answer. I changed it back and had to re-verify everything. SERPs have dropped and sales have slacked off as a result.

This was an unnecessary move that caused much extra work and head ache... performed by shopify's expert.

0 Likes