Conversion Tracking Breaks - Orders Placed on Alternate Sales Channels Don't Report Conversion Value

Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 4

Hi, thanks for taking a moment to read my question.

I've been having some trouble recently trying to set up Google Ads conversion tracking for stores that have multiple sales channels. Here's my vision of the most basic Shopify config for ecommerce conversion tracking:

1. Store sells products through 'Online Store' sales channel

2. Customer goes through the funnel, purchases, lands on the order thank you page

3. Scripts from Checkokut > 'Additional Scripts' fire, conversion is registered and reported to Google Ads.

This has been working great across the board until other sales channels get introduced. One store I've been working on uses the Amazon sales channel. This is the script that's supposed to fire on the thank you page

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Ads: ******* -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=AW-*******"></script>
<script>
	  window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
	  function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
	  gtag('js', new Date());
	  gtag('config', 'AW-*******');
</script>

<!-- Event snippet for U-Fix Purchase conversion page -->
<script>
    gtag('event', 'conversion', {
      'send_to': 'AW-*******/*******',
      'value': '{{ checkout.total_price | money_without_currency }}',
      'currency': 'USD',
      'transaction_id': '{{order.order_number}}'
  });
</script>

When I check the order status page for a purchase completed over 'Online Store' it looks correct with a conversion value of 66.13 being passed to Google Ads:

image.png

However when a purchase is completed over the 'Amazon' sales channel, the checkout.total_value seems to resolve to an empty string:

image.png

This is resulting in a strange discrepancy on Google Ads where conversions are being reported without a conversion value being attributed to them.

image.png

I don't even understand how a purchase completed over Amazon could end with a user landing on the store's thank you page. Furthermore, how could the purchase end up being attributed to google because no ad would have been clicked on throughout the purchase funnel?

I feel like the way to address this would be to only fire the Checkout Scripts if the sales channel == 'Online Store' or something, but I haven't been able to find any documentation that suggests that this is possible. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

Thank you.

0 Likes