DNS CNAME record issue / SEO issues, not showing up on Google!

MD_SHAHEDUR_RAH
1 0 0

Hello,

I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion for me.  My website is www.usmartny.com and I've had very few sales since I started it in February, 2017. When I have searched my site on Google Search Console, I found the following message,

"DNS CNAME recordVerification failed. Your verification DNS CNAME record was not found. You might need to wait a few minutes before Google sees your changes to the CNAME records."

"DNS CNAME recordReverification failed. We encountered an error looking up records for the domain fh7oy24lkoad.usmartny.com."

What is DNS CNAME and How do I fix the issue? How do I improve my site to appear on Google and other Search Engines?

0 Likes
Savannah_F
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
537 0 92

Hey there!

Savannah here from the Shopify Guru Team. :) 

A CNAME is a DNS record that's attached to your domain. Often, Google Console will use a CNAME to verify ownership of a 'property,' or domain. 

Typically, we suggest verifying with a meta tag or file upload instead, and we've got a great walkthrough on how to do that here

In order to do that, you'll need to login to your Google Webmasters/Console account. I'm a bit rusty as to what that verification screen shows, but I believe you will need to select, "Alternate Methods" and then "HTML File Upload." Then, go through the steps listed here. I'm not sure how far along you are in the process, but you'll also want to have Google crawl your sitemap. You can do that by following these steps

I'd really recommend taking a look at our SEO docs here and, if you're keen, looking at Moz's SEO Guide for Beginners. Those two guides are chalked full of tips for getting your site to the top of the search results!

Let me know if there's anything I can clarify, or if you have further questions!

Savannah | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes