Do’s and don’t of product images…

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Once I apply to a U.S. supplier and get accepted as a vendor and receive a wholesale account… What can I or can’t I do with the product images of the items that I will be selling from the suppliers website?

Do I have to obtain permission to use these product images on my website or do I have the automatic right as a vendor to do this? Also, how far do these permissions go when dealing with social media marketing? Can I combine multiple product images side by side from different suppliers and form one Instagram post??

Can I have a product image from the supplier and a text in a post that explains a description of the product and that says buy now (@mywebsite.com)

The products are mostly all generic and not branded.

Any other tips or advice would be much appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
725 24 240

Hey, Payton!

Aria here, one of the Social Care gurus at Shopify.

When a supplier is selling products wholesale, they will typically be happy for you to use their images to promote the products on your store and Social Media. That being said, each individual company is different so it's always a good idea to ask them for their rules on that to be sure.

There are a few other things to keep in mind. You'll want to make sure you're using high-resolution images and that they are all the same shape and size. This guide will tell you more about the recommended sizes. We also have a great course on Shopify Academy on product photography. Even if you don't intend to do your own photography, it's worth taking the course to find out what you should be looking for.

Make sure you're not using images from a supplier that include their watermarks.

When I was setting up my own store, I was really picky about the quality of the images as they can make or break a store. I was lucky enough to have a photographer friend to help with my slider images and I used a company called POW (Product on White) to create professional product images for me. If you check out the images on these stores, you will see what I mean about how image quality affects a store.

Does that help?

What sort of plans do you have to market your products? Have you established what your target market looks like?

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Fantastic! 

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. I will be contacting suppliers soon and talking to them about their rules on their product images.

Also, thanks for sharing the links. I will be checking out the course in the shopify academy.

I'm currently coming up with a pre-launch marketing plan right now!

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
725 24 240

Hey!

That sounds great.

Reach out any time if you think of anything else.

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hey Aria!

I have another question that I could surely use your expertise for!

I'm trying to eventually schedule my social media posts and create content to share across Facebook and Instagram with one single post. Do you know whats the best image dimensions to use for sharing across both of these platforms at once? 1080x-1080x or should I alter these dimensions? 

Thank you again!

-Nick :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
725 24 240

Hey, Nick!

My first piece of advice here would be to avoid posting the same thing on both Instagram and Facebook. They are very different platforms, the content should be different and there is no incentive for people to follow you on both platforms if the material is the same. If anything, they'll get bored with the repetition and unfollow you. The whole point of Social Media for business is to grab attention and engage with your followers. If you do need to get the same message across on both platforms, to advertise a promotion perhaps, find creative ways to get the message across in a different way.

Pro-tip: if you are running a contest, the algorithm may penalize you. To avoid this, put the instructions within a video, rather than separate text on the post. 

Later is a good tool for scheduling posts for Instagram, they have a free plan available. You can see it laid out to see how it will look esthetically before you schedule. 

Canva is great for creating professional-looking posts. Again, there is a free option. 

Facebook already has a built-in option for scheduling posts on your business page so you don't need a separate tool. 

Certainly, there are a lot of tools out there so someone else may weigh-in to let you know what has worked for them. Make sure you sign up for the free courses on Shopify Compass if you haven't already. We have courses on Facebook ads and Instagram marketing. You will get some good ideas on content pillars to help you provide value to your followers beyond just posting your products.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi!  I bought olddetroit.com last week from shopify.  but the internet goes to some guy trying to sell this domain and not my store.  this must happen often.  how to fix it.  I tried offering to buy it from him, just to ditch him and he asked 5000$.  then shopify sent me and email someone wants to buy the site.  so everyone knows everyone involved in this problem.  how can this guy be stopped from blocking my site?   Not urgent.  I am just learning the ins-outs of this business.  I hope to sell cat scratchers made with michigan beach sand to keep the nails worn down naturally!  thank you all so much!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Payton077 

If you are going to promote to Facebook check those:

- Shopify compass free courses from Ezra. The guy made $90 mil for 5.5 years with that strategy : https://www.shopifycompass.com/learn/facebook-ads-for-beginners-retention-and-loyalty/the-sales-funn.... There are few tips on the product images

- Check this video as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaoFDG16GuE&feature=youtu.be

Our app PicAmaze is the cherry top of the product images. It can help you preparing an effective ad creative for Facebook:

6999057956947-optimized.gif

https://apps.shopify.com/picamaze
Animated watermarks for product images and ads
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
725 24 240

Hey, @olddetroit!

It looks like you didn't actually purchase that domain, it's still available for purchase. You can try again to purchase it in your Shopify admin by going to Online Store > Domains. 

This guide explains further about how domains work. 

If you go to Settings > Billing, you can have a look at your invoices. If it turns out you were charged for the domain, please reach out to our support team so we can authenticate you and help further.

0 Likes