Does to many internal links harm SEO?

Highlighted
11 0 0

I have a lot of internal links on my homepage, around 200 mainly linking to collections in drop down menus. I like to have these in one place for ease of use however I could perhaps adjust the website in order to reduce links on the homepage. The question is, is this worth it? Are they harming SEO?

SEO analysis tools says there is to many links and Google recommends a maximum of 100. However I have found articles saying that since 2013 the number of internal links does not matter. What are people's thoughts on this. Snippet from article is below.

• Number of links:
    Back in 2008, Matt Cutts (head of Google’s Webspam team) recommended limiting the number of links to a maximum of 100 links per page.
    Today (since 2013) Matt Cutts explained having more then 100 links per page isn’t an issue, and this limitation is dropped from Google Webmaster Guidelines.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
226 0 21

Hi Luke,
Stephen a Shopify Guru here :)

200 links on your page is not an issue for Google anymore as shown in the article you posted Google has indeed gotten rid of that 100 links per page limit. In this video from the Google Webmasters, Youtube channel Matt Cutts address this topic and gives a full explanation of how Google deals with links per page now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHG6BkmzDEM

Hope that helps, feel free to drop us a line at support@shopify.com if you have any other questions. 
Stephen :)

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
  1. They aren't using social media correctly.
  2. They don't know how to measure the success they are having. 
  3. Social media is not profitable
0 Likes