Domain redirect

Highlighted
7 0 0

Hi everyone!

I just start a new store with a domain that i had before. The domain was connected to another store that i had in another platform and had a lot of back-links from another sites.

The issue is that Shopify store's domains are difference from my older store and all the backlinks are getting away. It is possible to do any redirect to a new pages? or even to connect all of them to the home page instead?

I'm looking for on-page solution, and not something like contact the the backlink's website owner and ask them ro change the llink.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2694 191 427

Hi @Yosifz,

Nick here from Shopify. 

I'm not quite 100% sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to connect a third party domain to your store or redirect all traffic to your new Shopify store? 

If you are trying to redirect your traffic to your new Shopify store, you can do this by Online Store > Domains section of your admin. Then select the domain you want to redirect to for the dropdown for your primary domain. Then select "Redirect all traffic to this domain" with the checkbox just underneath that then. 

Let me know if you think this will work for you. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

@Nick wrote:

Hi @Yosifz,

Nick here from Shopify. 

I'm not quite 100% sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to connect a third party domain to your store or redirect all traffic to your new Shopify store? 

If you are trying to redirect your traffic to your new Shopify store, you can do this by Online Store > Domains section of your admin. Then select the domain you want to redirect to for the dropdown for your primary domain. Then select "Redirect all traffic to this domain" with the checkbox just underneath that then. 

Let me know if you think this will work for you. 

All the best, Nick

Hi @Nick , Thanks for the respond!

I will try to explain my target again, For example if my domain is : XYZ.com, and i have a lot of referring links from other sites to my previous website :

XYZ.com/product/123

XYZ.com/product/456

XYZ.com/product/789

Now in Shopify the URL are not the same because Shopify using another URL scheme, and every redirect from another website to my current Shopify store will bring 404 page.

There is something that i can do with that?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2694 191 427

Ah ok, I think I might know what you mean now. 

I'm wondering if it's the URL redirect. Shopify created a helpful guide for it which you can see here

Do you think this is what you're looking for? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

@Nick wrote:

Ah ok, I think I might know what you mean now. 

I'm wondering if it's the URL redirect. Shopify created a helpful guide for it which you can see here

Do you think this is what you're looking for? 

@NickLook closer to what i'm looking, But there is any possibility to redirect all broken links to my Homepage? Because i have lots of backlinks(links direct to my website) from other website.

I want that every broken link will redirect to my Homepage.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2694 191 427

is any possibility to redirect all broken links to my Homepage? Because i have lots of backlinks(links direct to my website) from other website.

I want that every broken link will redirect to my Homepage

Do you mean direct broken links from a non-Shopify website to your Shopify store? If so, this is something which would need to be done from the website software or domain provider you are currently using. This wouldn't be something which comes from the Shopify side of things. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
64 1 7

If you want to redirect all broken links to your homepage, you declare the 301 redirect redirect command to the Home page in your website's htaccess file. When this 301 redirect redirect command, all links that are broken will be defaulted to the Home page

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

@jackyle wrote:

If you want to redirect all broken links to your homepage, you declare the 301 redirect redirect command to the Home page in your website's htaccess file. When this 301 redirect redirect command, all links that are broken will be defaulted to the Home page

@jackyleThanks!

How i can access the htaccess file in Shopify? And what i need to implement there?

0 Likes