Duplicate Meta description on Home and Collections

Highlighted
7 0 0

A scan tells me that the meta discription I have chosen for my home page is showing for collections page too.  Is there any way to change this without messing with code (  as another posted did and got it all messed up)? There does not seem to be a specific section to choose the meta for collections.  Seems to be automatic.  Any ideas please?  www.ambersos.com

Amberlady

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @Amberlady 

Collection pages meta descriptions can be edited by going to your Dashboard > Products > "Collection Title" > Edit Website SEO (At the bottom of page)

Home Page meta descriptions can be edited by going to your Dashboard > Online Store > Preferences > Title and Meta Description

One thing I would like to point out is that if your collection has many products, there will be more than 1 collection page and therefore multiple collection pages with the same Title and Meta Description. Scans of the website will deem these as duplicate, however you are not able to alter these on Shopify.

I hope this helps!

Gary Gill
Syntech Digital
contact@syntechdigital.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Thanks for your reply Gary.  Yes, I understand the first 2 points. 

But regarding collections, your procedure works for an individual collection page.  eg website.com/bracelets. You can go to Dashboard > Products > "Collection Title" > Edit Website SEO (At the bottom of page)   

But it seems there is no place to edit the website.com/collections page.  This is the page that shows ALL the collections.  Am I wrong in this?  Is there something I missing? 

Get your additional point too.  Thanks. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Amberlady 

Sorry for the misinterpretation of your question. 

In order to do that, there is a simple fix:

1.) Create a new collection with the handle of "all". This will replace the default one.

2.) Using an automatic collection with a condition of "price greater than 0" will be the quickest way to include everything into that collection.

Once this is complete, feel free to edit it and it will rectify this problem.

Gary Gill
Syntech Digital
contact@syntechdigital.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

I'll try that Gary. Thanks very much for coming back to me a second time.  Appreciate it. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello Amberlady

Hope you are doing well, as per your query you can update the metadata for collection page by editing your theme, just follow the given command :-

>>Online store>>Theme>>Action>>Edit code>>Section Folder>>Collection-template.liquid

Note: In Edit Code there is a “section folder” where you can edit a “collection-template.liquid” named file for updating collection’s meta title and description.

Hope suggestions will work for you.
Thank you.

CedCommerce | Digital Marketing Services

Digital Marketing Analyst
E-mail: asthaupadhyay@cedcommerce.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Please tell me, work?

how did you do it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Update

Ok, so I tried suggestion 1 from Gary re collections.  Did that ok and gave a different meta description.  Did a scan again and system is still telling me 2 pages still have the same meta descriptions.  Maybe it needs to recrawl?  

asthaupadhyay_1 - I had a look at code in collection.template.liquid.  I copy part below.  I see a line for meta but am not sure how I should change this?

Thanks 

{% if collection.handle != blank and collection.products_count > 0 %}
<div class="eight columns section_select omega {% if section.settings.collection_breadcrumb == false %}offset-by-eight{% endif %}">
{% if section.settings.collection_tags %}
<div class="filter_wrap">
{% for tag in collection.all_tags %}
{% if forloop.first %}
<label for="tag_filter" class="inline">{{ 'collections.sorting.filter' | t }}: </label>
<select name="tag_filter" id="tag_filter">
<option {% unless current_tags %}selected="selected"{% endunless %} value="{% if collection.handle == "all" %}/collections/all{% else %}{{ collection.url }}{% endif %}">{{ 'collections.general.all_collection_title' | t: title: collection.title }}</option>
{% endif %}

{% unless tag contains 'meta-' %}
<option {% if current_tags contains tag %}selected="selected"{% endif %} value="/collections/{% if collection.handle != blank %}{{ collection.handle }}{% else %}all{% endif %}/{{ tag | handleize }}">{{ tag }}</option>
{% endunless %}

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @Amberlady 

There is many website which is actually help you to scan meta disciption and other duplicate pages, content. i would recommeded neilpatel.com. you will get scan report and do change as per required.

If you have any other help you need pls ping me. I am running offline advertising agency in Pune, Maharashtra. We are coming into digital marketing soon.

Yours,

Shivam

0 Likes