Duplicate Search Engine Rankings (storename.myshopify.com & storename.com)

Highlighted
1 0 0

Friends and colleagues, experts and newbs, dogs and cats. 

I have come across an issue with SEO and google showing duplicate domains for my site. The shopify site has been live for about one month, but when I search for a keyword that will bring up my store, I notice that BOTH storename.myshopify.com AND storename.com are showing up. 

I have already set up the shopify store to be redirected to my custom domain, and setup my custom domain as the primary domain. 

Is there anything else that I need to do in order to ensure that there are not duplicate listings in SERP?

Thanks for your generous advice.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
500 1 56

Hi there!

I am a cat.. not really! As you have set up your URL redirects you are really ahead of the game for sure!

I am sure you'll get more answers, I just wanted to ask you had you asked Google to recrawl your site since you changed the domain name? That may help with this! Here is the google doc on doing this if you had not seen it before- https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6065812?hl=en!

Also, it would be useful to check in your Shopify admin/settings/domains that you have clicked redirect all traffic to this domain to ensure that the .myshopify.com domain name is hidden!

From my online researches it can take Google a few weeks to reindex your site, so I am sure over time you'll see it working ok! In the meantime, it might also be helpful to clear your cache and cookies to ensure older data that only you might see is removed from your browser :)

I hope this helps and thanks for reading!

Anne :)

0 Likes