E-commerce store selling exclusively to the UK but my SEO is attracting predominantly US users

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 2

Hey Guys,

So my online store (www.neonomad.co.uk) has been live for about a month now. I have just taken a look at my store visits over the past month, and here is a breakdown of the users by country

Country                No of visitors over the past month

USA -                    123

UK                         62

Other                     56

As you can see the lion's share of users visiting my site are from the USA. This is no value to me as the store ships exclusively to the UK, mainly due to my supply chain being based in Europe.

I think these US customers are coming through the SEO, as the only marketing that I have done has been directed solely to the UK.

Is there any way of adapting/changing the SEO so that is targets the UK market?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 3

Hi,

First of all, your website looks great, hope it works out

Secondly, I would first make sure that SEO is the problem. It could be something else: some article published with your website, generating traffic. You can analyze the traffic source in Google Analytics, which is easily integrated with Shopify (it's free). Just go to Audience -> Geo -> Location, and filter for US. After that is done, add a secondary metric for "Default Grouping Channel". This may sound like a lot of work just for this, but Google Analytics is a great tool to have when running a webshop, and it can answer a lot of questions you may have.

I'm not sure that SEO is the problem, since it takes a lot of time to get results from SEO (more than 1 month), but I could be wrong. In my experience, websites selling products in only one market (like yours) generate very few traffic outside of that market. So I think that Google is really good at noticing this kind of thing.

Again, you may be right, but in your position I would first make sure what the problem is (with Google Analytics). 

I don't think you can directly target UK with SEO, but this is done implicitly. What I mean is that the text on your website is written in the British version of the english language, which influences keywords and phrases used.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 2

Hi Adrian

Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

I followed your suggestion on google analytics and I drilled down into the US visitors. I only set up the analytics a few days ago, so I only have recent data, but it looks like the US visitors were sourced from social (approx 50%) or direct (the other 50%). So you are right, these do not appear to be SEO driven?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 3

Then it looks like SEO is not the problem as traffic from search engines is counted under "Organic search". 

Roughly, "direct" means that Google Analytics cannot recognise where the traffic came from. There were no UTM tags, it wasn't a search engine or a social network, so it doesn't know.

Hopefully I helped. If you need anything else, feel free to ask. If not, all the best!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
560 59 108

Hi @Neonomad,

Hyde here from Shopify.

SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and will allow your store to be found more easily through Google and other browsers. It means, essentially, trying to use the kind of key phrases and words in your content that you believe your customers will use to try to look for your products.

In other words, you target your customers with SEO by using the same kind of words and language on your site that your target audience uses in their search.
Here’s how you can look up keywords to help boost your site’s ranking. 

Beyond that, here is a really helpful guide on how to get started with this. I also have more general information on that here. I have a few more steps that you can take for good SEO here:

* Submit your sitemap to Google.
* A Beginner’s Guide to Content Marketing.
* Ecommerce SEO 101 Video Series.
* Find out more about blogs.

I hope this all helps!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes