I have a Shopify website created using an off the rack theme from the store (Testament by Underground Media). www.velvetry.com.
I am aware that Shopify automatically creates sitemaps for online stores - and by no means am I an expert - but the automatically created sitemap for my store seems awfully short and incomplete. I have pasted it below. Maybe it is because the sitemaps being generated by Shopify are not crawling deep enough into the link tree?
In comparison, the sitemaps for mywebsite generated by some online free tools seem much denser/longer. Particularly I am using the tool at xmlsitemapgenerator.org.
1) Why does the automatically generated sitemap seem so short? Is it complete?
2) If I should use the sitemap generated by another tool, how do I replace the sitemap attached to my website at the moment?
3) Any recommendations on which sitemap generator tools to use?
Thank you very much for your help!
Automatically generated sitemap from Shopify -
This is the parent sitemap linking to additional sitemaps for products, collections and pages as shown below. The sitemap can not be edited manually, but is kept up to date in real time.
Kassey here from the Shopify Guru Team! The sitemap that is generated by Shopify does link to your seperate sitemaps for Collections, Products, Blogs and Pages in a shortened format. When you generate the sitemap, using this format (yourstorename.myshopify.com/sitemap.xml) - you can plug those links that your sitemap lists, (for example/ https://www.yourstorename.com/sitemap_collections_1.xml) into your browser URL bar and when you do this, it will show you all of the information that is normally 'hidden' in your primary sitemap. You can check out more about your sitemap by using the Shopify doc here!
I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions - be sure to reach out to Shopify support!
Thank you! I have a couple of follow up questions:
1) Given the website is constantly evolving, how often do I need to submit sitemaps to Google / Bing?
2) Are sitemaps used by Google and Bing identical? If not, which search engine is the Shopify sitemap generated for?
1) You submit the sitemap once. The sitemap itself contains data to help Google understand when to crawl content.
2) Yes, sitemaps are identical with Google and Bing.
Shopify generates a sitemap automatically basing on the content that you have in your store (pages, blogs, products, collections). The file sitemap.xml is not a part of the theme so it is not accessible or editable. As well as robots.txt.
The Shopify sitemap.xml may link to separate sitemaps for Collections, Products, Blogs and Pages in a shortened format, but my Google Search console tells me that Google only crawled 10 pages (homepage + pages), not my entire catalogue of 500+ pages.
Why did Google only crawl 10 pages; am I missing something else?