Entering Google Product Categories in Shopify

Solved
landc1
2 0 1

I have downloaded the list of Google Product Categories and identified the correct categories, do I then enter the code into the box below? What if there are two categories it fits?Screenshot 2019-04-23 at 13.21.02.png

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
998 61 164

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @landc1!

My name is Tira and I work at Shopify.

Google only allows for one category to be used to identify your product. You can enter either the ID of the product category or its name in the "Google product category" field. I understand that it might be a challenge to pick just one category, however Google recommends to choose the a category that is more in line with the main function of your product. What is the product you're wanting to publish?

For more details on how product categories work, check out these resources:

Google Product Categories - Google help documentation

Add a Google Product Category - Shopify help doc

Let me know if that helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

landc1
2 0 1
Fantastic. I will enter the code. Re sizes are you only able to enter one variant too?
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
998 61 164

Hey, again! 

In our old Google Shopping app, you could only sync the first variant for the product, but our current app allows all variants for a product to be synced. It can take Google about a week to sync all of your variants. While waiting, the products will show as "Pending" on the Google Shopping app. Read more about setting up the Google Shopping app here.

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

0 Likes
VTBVTV
Tourist
3 0 3

Hello

I have entered the google product category but I am still getting a message telling me that Needs a Google Product Category when I try to select Facebook as a sales channel to post my product to.  

Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
998 61 164

Hi, @VTBVTV.

Thanks for reaching out in the Shopify Community. I’m happy to help. 

Are you looking to use Facebook for Checkout on Instagram? If you are, I recommend reviewing the steps from our help doc here: Syncing Facebook for Checkout on Instagram to make sure your product is synced correctly to be reviewed and approved by Facebook. 

You will need to make sure a Google Product Category is added to your product to move forward with Facebook for Checkout on Instagram. Google requires a product category that exists. I recommend checking the spelling of the category to make sure it’s accurate, and making sure that the category is one that exists. The reason for this is because Shopify sends this information to Google for approval. Check out our help doc on Google Product Category for more information and for a link to Google’s help documentation on adding product categories to your product.

What Google Product Category were you trying to add?

0 Likes
VTBVTV
Tourist
3 0 3
Yes, I would like to Facebook for checkout on Instagram. I have already set
up my catalog and have it connected to Shopify. All of the products that I
uploaded to Shopify from my Etsy shop are showing in my Catalog and in my
Instagram Shop however, when I add new products they will not let me choose
Facebook and I get the message I mentioned. I did go back and complete the
Google product info for a couple of the new listings but they still will m
not let me select the Facebook option.

The product category is jewelry.
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
998 61 164

Thanks for confirming this, VTBVTV. Can I see a screenshot of what you’re seeing when you try to select the Facebook option?

To add a photo of your screenshot, you can click on the “Camera” button to upload a photo from your computer or, paste a URL into the rich text editor here in your reply. 

Here are some other things to try:

• What happens if you enter “Jewelry” as a Google product category (with a capital “J”) - does that change anything?
  • What happens if you leave the category blank? Is a product category automatically assigned, and do you get any errors?

Let me know how that works.

0 Likes
JillJones
Excursionist
22 0 2

What if you are selling skin care products? I don't see where to find the information for the Google categories for this?

0 Likes
shopbloc
1 0 0

What if you dont even have google installed and its still saying this to update to facebook? 

0 Likes