Facebook & Adwords alternative?

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello, about a month ago I opened an online store with Shopify (www.spadesracing.com.au) that sells quadcopter parts and accessories. I have tried advertising it on Facebook and Adwords with a small amount of traffic being directed to my site each day (<10 clicks per day), but I find the numbers quoted by Facebook and Adwords misleading. I assume that Shopify uses different metrics as the amount of visitors do not match up.

Facebook tells me I have about 10 visitors a day to my store but Shopify shows 0 for the last three days. Google costs twice as much per click as facebook did and drove 1/2 as much so called traffic. Is there an online alternative to these two? Are the ads shown in video on youtube any better?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kane.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
178 0 12

Hello,

Christine here from the Shopify Guru team - thanks for reaching out!

A good way to get metrics for your store would be in Google Analytics. Your overview also has some great info, however, the most recent and even live visitation would be in Google Analytics. 

You'll sometimes see different results from Shopify reports and Google Analytics. This is not unusual, but it’s impossible to know exactly how to account for these differences and resolve the discrepancy.

There are many possible reasons for differences in tracking results, including:

• Differences in how page reloads and unique visitors are counted. Google counts every page reload, but a browser won’t count reloads of cached pages.
  • Differences in how page visits are defined. For example, some analytics software counts search bots as visitors, while other software doesn’t.
  • Google can only count visitors with javascript and cookies enabled. Some visitors might not allow cookies or javascript.
  • Discrepancies might be introduced because of different reporting timezones. Read about changing your Google time zone here.
  • It’s unlikely that identical tracking mechanisms are being used, so your visitors will not be recorded equally. Details of recording mechanisms are proprietary information and are never shared.

Here is some further [information](https://docs.shopify.com/manual/reports-and-analytics/google-analytics/google-analytics-setup) on connecting Google Analytics in your store. 

Hope that helps! Let us know if you need anything else. We are just a click away :)

Cheers,
Christine - Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

You may try Bing/Yahoo ads. Cheaper than Adwords.

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Here's something to consider - the average site is going to convert at around 2% (or 2 orders per 100 visitors). If you are driving 10 visitors a day it would take 5-10 days for one order. 

It's probably not worth spending money at that rate, because the conversion rate will be different over that length of time.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Kane,

I agree with Christine, Google Analystics would be the ideal tool for acuratly tracking your site visitors. You can also gain other valuable insites on your audience- check out this article: 

http://www.cio.com/article/3064627/analytics/6-google-analytics-tips-to-boost-your-online-sales.html

Michael
Shoelace.com 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 0 5

If you're looking for the best possible chance to reach people who may be interested in purchasing from your store then Google and Facebook are the two best choices.

There are hundreds of factors that can contribute to success (audience, audience size, geography, other targeting, creative, ad copy, budget, etc.) so I would consider changing your campaigns before entirely ruling these two out.

With your current spend, as Hyde mentioned, you'll be slow to gain sales, but eventually you'll find something that does convert and you'll have a better idea of where to spend your money.

Try different things... one day spend twice as much as normal, target only one specific geographic area, change your messaging and creative, target only a specific age range. The options are endless.

Yahoo, Bing, Instagram, Twitter are all other options but have their own advantages and disadvantages. One tip - if you're looking to spend less per click then Bing or Yahoo will be great, BUT the audience size is much smaller and the average age is slightly higher. Unless you know the average age of your customers skews higher then I would avoid spending on either of those two. Another BUT... you can always test them out. In the end you'll only loose out on the budget you allocate and the time you spend.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 0 0

Hi Kane,

We just released a very important video about Google AdWords.
StoreYa's CEO, Yariv Dror, has wrapped up 10 years of AdWords advertising experience spending $10 million in a 10 minutes video. The video starts with the basics and continues to some very important tips regarding AdWords optimization. It ends with tips on how to automate your campaigns. Watch Video >>

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly, I'll be happy to help.

StoreYa - Automate Your Marketing Site - www.StoreYa.com
0 Likes