First Visit Conversion

Highlighted
10 0 0

Hi everyone,

I started my store about a month ago, and with no sales, had a question about marketing. I'm mostly using Facebook ads. I'm wondering if I should focus more on getting traffic and what kind of conversion rate I should expect from that. I'm guessing that first visit conversions are typically low. What kind of rate should I expect? And at what level of traffic should I start focusing on retargeting?

Thanks for your help everyone!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 0 3

If your website is only a month old then I would highly recommend you focus on getting traffic to your site. The more traffic you get, that means more potential for sales. Once you start generating traffic then you can focus on the sales as you'll have momentum. Also, you'll collect data on what pages get the most traffic and then have the best pages to focus your energies on improving and promoting.

Digital Marketing Strategist
0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hey Anthony,

You are running FB ads but have you tried Google ads? Google ads are great if you do them right.

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Well what is enough traffic? What is momentum? Facebook has given me around 150 page views. Google ads had given me hundreds more. Still just a few cart adds, but no sales. When should I begin focusing on retargeting? Or should I get more than 25 Facebook likes? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Hello,

I have visited your store and got that your store is about baby products. Every person all ages like the baby product so you should target all types of people of all ages.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 0 3

In what timeframe did you get the 150 FB pageviews. Was that in an hour, a day, a week?

How much revenue are you trying to generate? This will ultimately provide an indicator on the traffic you need to get to your site.

The momentum I'm referring to is traffic because it will lead to sales so focus on traffic first. 

To put things into perspective, a healthy starting point for traffic would be about 5000 visits per month. this will at least get you data to focus your marketing on. Also, put emphasis on building your email list as well because that can lead to sales in addition to building your brand.

I think you have a lot of potential for your business. If you'd like to chat about creating a marketing roadmap that can build that momentum I mentioned, let me know. I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
18 0 2

Anthony, 

Have you set up a google analytics account? That is a great source that tells you sorts of information about where your traffic is coming from with dates and times. Just like Benjamin mentions focus now on getting as many impression as possible. Creating brand awareness is the first step to marketing and will help you create an end goal. 

Conversions all depend on what you are selling and the niche of your target market. Once you get all that set in it is easier to create goals with conversion and sales. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hi Stryde,

Yes, I have a Google Analytics account. Most of my traffic is coming from Facebook where I have an ad campaign running. It's just one ad running for traffic. I've gotten about 25 likes, and now finally ONE PURCHASE!!!

Still, that return is not enough to offset my advertising spending. Should I invest in a retargeting campaign? I'd ideally like to get more sales from my email retargeting and Facebook page since they're free, but it seems like it's going to take a long while to build up those followings, right?

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hi Benjamin,

That's over a month, spending $5 per day. Should I adjust my bid to get cheaper clicks, because it seems like getting people to view the page is too expensive (about 50 cents per pageview).

And I'm nowhere near 5000 pageviews per month. It seems like profitability is a long ways off.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 0 3

Hi Anthony,

Great to hear you got a sale. 

Yes, profitability will come but you need the traffic to get to that point. Not to discourage you but rather to set the right expectations, most businesses, even online business, don't see profit in their first year. Just have to keep working at it.

0 Likes