Give Back/Social Initiative Functionality

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

I'm setting up an ecommerce website for a business that already has a traditional wholesale business. One of the goals of the company is to donate the portion of every sale to a charity of the customers choosing. For ecommerce sales, this functionality should be relatively straight forward, added as a custom field within the checkout process. However they also want to provide this option to offline customers through some kind of unique code included within each shoebox, that can then be redeemed online toward a charity of choice. Anyone have any ideas how to create this functionality in shopify. My first guess is as follows.

Create a unique Collection that represents charities rather than products. Then limit this collection to code-only based purchases (is that even possible?) Then use bulk 1-time discount code app to create the codes. Offline customers would then go to this Collection page, select their charity to "purchase," then checkout using the custom 1-time code. 

I'd love to hear any ideas about how to make this work with minimal customization (though full custom isn't off the table). 

Thanks. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
259 3 66

Hi, there!

Lisa here from the Shopify Support team. 

What a lovely initiative to donate a portion of the sales to charity! For online sales - this is very achievable through an app. In the Shopify App store, there are many apps for donating a flat rate or percentage to charities of the customers choice. 

The app Share the Love allows shop owners to create a list of causes they want to support and when a customer checks out they can choose what cause from the list they want a portion of their payment to go toward.

Here are some other apps for donating to charities via online sales.

As for the offline sales, your workaround would work! To do this, you may want to first duplicate the product page and edit the template to be more suited towards a donation page i.e 'Donate' instead of 'add to cart'. You can use this tutorial here to adjust the product page to be a 'Charity Page'. Then you can allocate which products will have this new template and put the 'products' in a charity collection as you suggested. From here with the code given to customers at in the store, this will give them 100% off the charity collection so the charity they can select where they want to contribute to. Here's how to make a discount code to share with offline customers. The only issue with this is it is a lot of effort for the customers to allocate the percentage toward charity. They will have to go all the way through the checkout process and enter in their details to redeem the code which may deter some people along the way.

Alternatively, for offline customers, you can create a private poll page with the names of the charities - they can simply visit this link click and vote for the charity of their choice. Only the offline customers can be given this unique link to vote and you can customize the form to ask for their name and any other details you need and they can easily complete the process without being taken through the checkout process. Here are a couple options for poll apps: Quick Polls and Poll

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions! ?

- Lisa 

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes