Google Ads Conversion Tracking Help

Solved
1 0 0

Has this now be resolved as my conversion tracking is also not working and no one seems to be able to help me?

This is the code I have on my settings/checkout/order processing/additional scripts section:

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Ads: 724951747 -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=AW-724951747"></script>
<script>
window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'AW-724951747');
</script>

{% if first_time_accessed %}
<!-- Event snippet for Purchases conversion page -->

gtag('event', 'conversion', {
'send_to': 'AW-724951747/3QVJCMXU36YBEMPF19kC',
'value': {{ checkout.total_price | money_without_currency }},
'currency': '{{ shop.currency }}',
'transaction_id': '{{ order_number }}'
});

{% endif %}

Thanks

x

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 3

Hi @Josh_Uebergang , I have a question for you. I read your blog at https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-ads-conversion-tracking-shopify

I'm a little confused on why you have the gtag.js code in the checkout script instead of the theme.cs as Shopify suggested (https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/promoting-marketing/analyze-marketing/tracking-adwords-conversion...)

You also talked about the duplicate page view workaround thus additional commands needed in the gtag.js code that resides in the checkout script section.

I guess my question is do I need the gtag.js code in both the theme.cs and the checkout script section as you recommended?

Thank you so much in advance.

1 Like
4 0 0

@altCookinghub I have noticed the same and wondered why people copy the gtag code in the checkout script. Anyone able to answer that?

Conversion tracking also does not work for our shops after following the Shopify documentation. Google does not verify it.

Is there a solution?

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 3

@tobygen Joshua is correct, Shopify screw us up. Without that repetitive code, it will NOT work. I check with Google team directly.

0 Likes
3 0 0

@altCookinghub So that means we have to set the gtag code both in theme.liquid as well as in checkout script for it to work properly? 

It's a little confusing as Josh explicitly says "You will install the Google Ads global site tag only on the thank you page inside the “if statement” so it runs when an order is placed."

0 Likes
4 0 0

I run two shops and put had previously only put the Analytics code between the <head>  code in the theme.liquid.

Analytics worked fine from the beginning.

Then I started with Google Ads and set up for each shop a few conversion tracker. I put all snippets in the Checkout section as described by Shopify incl. their recommended amendments (currency, value, order numbers etc.).

It has been a week now but Google has not verified the conversion tracking.

Yesterday I added the gtag code also to the checkout section as suggested here. So far Google has not verified the conversions. It has been around 12 hours. Will wait until tomorrow and let you know.

0 Likes
4 0 0

@altCookinghub So, what did you different compared to Shopify´s guideline to make it work since mine are still not verified by Google.

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 3

@tobygen I have the same as what Joshua's post and Google also approves it. I have gtag in theme and gtag in checkout script. You need to create test case as Joshua suggested in order to have it verified or have an actual sale that goes all the way completing checkout.

0 Likes

Thanks for jumping in and confirming @altCookinghub .

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Josh,

I have been reading your replies to this issue in hope that there would be a solution to explain why the conversion is not appearing on my Google Ads account, but I have not found it yet.

Please see below a screenshot of the source code on our website. The snippet is exactly as Google Ads has given it.

The purchase test was made last week (through a paid ad). It appears on Google Analytics but not on Ads.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

rednomad.JPG

Thank you

0 Likes