Google Ads Conversions not being tracked

Solved
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi guys, 

I've been struggling with google ads conversion tracking for quite a while now. I went through multiple guides, following them carefully. I'm pretty sure I am missing something really obvious, can you please help me out? 

here is the global site tag installed in theme.liquid

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Ads:ITSCORRECT -->
<script>
  window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
  function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
  gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'AW-ITSCORRECT');
</script>

followed with the snippet pasted into additional scripts section:

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Ads:ITSCORRECT -->
<script>
  window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
  function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
  gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'AW-ITSCORRECT');
</script>

<!-- Event snippet for purchase conversion page -->
<script>
  gtag('event', 'conversion', {
      'send_to': 'AW-ITSCORRECT/ITSalsoCORRECT',
'value': {{ checkout.total_price | money_without_currency | remove: ',' }},
'currency': '{{ shop.currency }}',
'transaction_id': '{{ order.order_number }}'
});
</script>

Google Tag Assistant screenshot while browsing store:
image_preview-1.png

Google Tag Assistant screenshot from thank you page:
image_preview-2.png

conversion still not being tracked by google ads
22.png21.png

I will appreciate any advice on how to resolve this issue.
Thank you guys in advance!
0 Likes

Did you add Google ads code to the confirmation page? This is often missed in most guides. 

We help ecommerce brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns across North America, Europe and Australia. We also help with CRO & analytics: TakeSomeRisk.com
0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 0

@DuaneBrown wrote:

Did you add Google ads code to the confirmation page? This is often missed in most guides. 

I have place the code for gtag in theme.liquid and in "Additional scripts" section under "Checkout" with conversion tracking snippet added. 

Conversion tracking tag seems to be firing correctly upon loading Thank you page, still no conversion data in Google Ads account.

Zrzut ekranu 2019-08-05 o 18.03.48.png

How do I install code in confirmation page and should I if the tag is active on thank you page?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Looking again at your screen shot, you only had 1 add to cart. Odds are you have not had any recent purchases from your Google ads campaigns. Google will only start counting conversions once it can see the tag. Any purchases that happened before Google can see the tag won't show up in Google ads.

We help ecommerce brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns across North America, Europe and Australia. We also help with CRO & analytics: TakeSomeRisk.com
1 Like
Tourist
4 0 0

Thank you DuaneBrown I am going to keep track of it for some time to check if it may be the issue. So in Google Ads Conversion section I am going to only see conversions attributed directly to my ads, but is there a chance I have not been tracking conversions partly due to wrong attribution model? I have been running few retargeting campaigns and I have noticed great increase in returning customer rate during this period, yet no direct conversion related to the ads.

0 Likes

Success.

For an order to be tracked in Google Ads, it has to come from the Google Ads traffic source. If you want to test it properly, click on one of your ads and make the purchase in that session. If it is setup, you will set it in Google Ads within the day.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
1 Like