Google Adwords Conversions Not Matching with Shopify Orders?

Zoe11
3 0 0

Hi guys,

I have been using Google Adwords for over 6 months and recently realised that my the conversions Google Adwords is showing does not match the amount of orders I have been getting.

For instance, Google shows that there was 443 conversions this week, but Shopify only shows 433 order (plus I also do some advertising with Facebook). 

My conversion tracking is set up on the Thank You page of shopify (i.e the page  you get to after ordering and it says Thank You for your order). Is this the issue?

0 Likes
Mitchell_R_
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
19 0 0

Hey Zoe,

My name is Mitchell and I’m on the guru team at Shopify. 

I've taken a look at your checkout settings, and everything looks good! The place that you've placed the tracking code in your checkout settings (so that it shows on your "Thank You" page) is correct.

When a customer completes their order and reaches your "Thank You" page, they are also emailed a link back to this page, so that they can check back in the future for updated tracking information if that becomes available. I suspect that the 10 extra conversions that you are seeing in Google Adwords is likely being caused by customers re-visiting the "Thank You" page more than once.

There is a setting in Google Adwords that can decide whether to count unique or all conversions, and I think this setting might need to be switched to "unique" in order to only count conversions the first time one of your customers reaches the "Thank You" page.

While I was researching this for you, I also came across this third-party guide on how to set up conversion tracking properly with Shopify. "Step F" shows the setting that I've discussed above. It might be a good resource for you to check out in this case.

I hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion, Zoe.

Please feel free to keep us updated here, so others can learn from our discussion as well!

-Mitchell R.

0 Likes
Zoe11
3 0 0

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the reply. I have changed the Count on Google Adwords to now be "Unique". I also noticed after posting this that I had not added the "Run Scripts on First Visit" code to my checkout page: https://docs.shopify.com/themes/customization/order-status/first-time-accessed

Hopefully now I wont be getting misleading results.

Thanks for all your help!

0 Likes