Google Analytics, Attribution, & Draft Orders

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

On our site, the front-end website serves B2C consumers, while we utilize the back-end draft orders for wholesale/large customers.

If we create a draft order for one of these large orders, we send them a link to pay that utilizes our front-end cart system. Before paying, if this customer decides to Google us and clicks on one of our ads, then within the 30-day Adwords Attribution window they pay their invoice, is this order then attributed to Google Adwords, even though the draft order was created prior to payment?

How can I filter these draft orders into the Direct sales column (or create a new Analytics Wholesale Orders channel), so they are not wrongfully attributed and skewing our analytics numbers?

0 Likes
Highlighted

It depends on how your tracking orders. I have not tested it, but presume a Google Ads conversion script would trigger. I could be wrong!

However, is your tracking through a Google Analytics import of transactions? The last time I checked, it would not be attributed. You can view the “Sales Performance” report to see that individual transactions for draft orders are excluded. This is because the Shopify.checkout object does not exist for draft orders. A checkout does not exist in the eyes of Shopify even though the payment process looks similar.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Looking for a way to either add a UTM to the link that Shopify sends out for invoice payment of draft orders (so that we can filter these within Google Analytics apart from the organic B2C orders), or possibly upload Shopify orders into Analytics for more data and filtering options. Are either of these options possible?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Go to your Shopify admin > Settings > Notifications > Draft order invoice.

Add UTM parameters of all links. An example for {{ shop.url }} is:

{{ shop.url }}?utm_source=shopify&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=draft_order

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
2 Likes