Google Analytics Enhanced Ecommerce tracking

Highlighted
1 0 2

We are migrating from traditional e-commerce tracking on GA to the new "Enhanced Ecommerce" tracking.
Google's documentation (https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce#migratio...) states that "The Enhanced Ecommerce plug-in should not be used alongside the Ecommerce (ecommerce.js) plug-in for the same property."
According to http://docs.shopify.com/manual/settings/general/google-analytics#ecommerce-tracking, the standard Ecommerce calls are made automatically during checkout. 

To fulfill the requirements, we'd like to disable those automatic calls made by the shopify platform. Has anybody been able to do this?

2 Likes
Trailblazer
195 0 75

I was looking into why my analytics is reporting inflated ecommerce revenue (hint: refreshes on completed pages http://www.quora.com/E-Commerce/Why-would-Google-Analytics-report-a-higher-number-of-transactions-in... ) and while looking for a solution, I noticed Google has new Enhanced ECommerce Tracking" (ec.js). 

Very important for us to get this rolling in our shop just like Nate. Please let me know what needs to get done.

0 Likes
Trailblazer
195 0 75

Supposedly "feature requests" go here. So if anyone finds this thread, please request this feature.

https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussion/t/feature-requests-here-52781

0 Likes
Excursionist
52 0 4

Incidentally if you were quite keen to get something up as quick as possible you could hack something together using an additional tracker/ua code. The theory would be to use the additional JS section in Shopify's Google Analytics dashboard settings to create the new GA tracker and run the ecommerce plugin on that tracker and then use the checkout page to fire the ecommerce data specific to that tracker. A bit hacky but the theory should work (you would also need to pass the Universal Analytics session string across to the myshopify subdomain). 

Of course the best solution would some type of implementation done by Shopify themselves...

A Positive10 Peep
0 Likes
Trailblazer
195 0 75

If I controlled the entire checkout workflow process, I'd do it myself. Else I feel we're going to have to wait for shopify to implement something on their end. I would hope they'd be on top of stuff like this, since well....they make ecommerce software.

I couldn't find any other info on this other than this thread.

0 Likes
Trailblazer
195 0 75

Any word shopify? No response from the feature-requests@shopify.com email I sent out 7 days ago. Curious what the timeline looks like, or if this is even on the radar?

0 Likes
Trailblazer
195 0 75

Bump. Still no word from feature-request@shopify.com.

0 Likes
Tourist
49 0 3

@jordan - if you need quick solution, then the experts at tatvic can help you implement Enhance eCommerce on your store. 

P.S. We have already made a enhance ecommerce plugin for woocommerce store.

We Just Launched Our App - "Actionable Google Analytics". Start Your 15 Days Free Trial Now!
0 Likes
Trailblazer
195 0 75

Explain how you'll make it work with shopify controlled checkout pages and issues with cross domain.

0 Likes
Excursionist
52 0 4

Hi Jordan,

I wonder if something like this might work:

1) Create a new UA number to track enhanced ecommerce

2) Add the new UA number with a new tracker using the  "Additional Google Analytics Javascript" section (admin -> settings -> Google Analytics -> Additional Google Analytics Javascript) - something like

ga('create', 'UA-12345-6', 'auto', {'name': 'newTracker'});

ga('newTracker.send', 'pageview');

3) Enable enhanced ecommerce tracking for that new tracker

ga('create', 'UA-12345-6', 'auto', {'name': 'newTracker'});

ga('newTracker.require', 'ec');
/* although it might be ga('require', 'ec');*/

ga('newTracker.send', 'pageview');

This will effectively place the new UA code on every page of the check out process and run the enhanced ecommerce as well (specific to the new tracker... I think!). 

Now you need to configure all the additional ecommerce js events on each product page. You could do that by using an open js object variable and configure that within a theme. Something like

var ecommerce_info = {} /* lots of ecommerce data taken from product liquid object */

Because of the different action data types on offer (impression vs promotion vs product) you'd have to configure how the data fires. But I imagine that if you use the tracker name you can assign it to your new UA number:

ga('newTracker.ec:addImpression', {            // Provide product details in an impressionFieldObject.   'id': 'P12345',                   // Product ID (string).   'name': 'Android Warhol T-Shirt', // Product name (string).   'category': 'Apparel/T-Shirts',   // Product category (string).   'brand': 'Google',                // Product brand (string).   'variant': 'Black',               // Product variant (string).   'list': 'Related Products',       // Product list (string).   'position': 1,                    // Product position (number). });

For the checkout page there is a section within the shopify admin that allows you to input liquid code for ecommerce tracking. Under admin->settings->payment->Order Processing->Additional content & scripts - this appears on the thank you page so theoretically you could use this to build upon the enhanced ecommerce data (as in purchase data).

Thats the outline of what you can do - fairly flexible. Because you also have control over pretty much all pages during the checkout process (as it injects any JS code you put into the additional content section) you can also set up cross domain tracking as well.

Hope that helps - sorry if it is a bit all over the place but just wanted to give you a few ideas if you did want to give it a go..

Thanks,

Mike

A Positive10 Peep
1 Like