I've searched the forums and can't see a solution to this particular indexing issue:
We've been working on SEO and were ranking top 4 out of 5 of our core keywords.
Last week core collections and some products that were ranking extremely well have now dropped from Googles index.
Search console informs that robot.txt is blocking these pages (we're aware that we have no access to Shopify robots.txt)
A google search on the offending URL's comes back with:
I have checked issues first I would ask you your site URL so that I can check what is exact issues and for now just have a question that how you are checking that your page is not ranking if you do not have access because without access you can not check.plzz clear it to me.
The Shopify robots.txt file is setup correctly, so you need to request Google to recrawl your domain. First, login to Google Search Condole (GSC). If you have not verified your domain with GSC - here are instructions how to setup in Shopify.
Once your site is verified, click URL Inspection in the left menu. Enter your domain name and Google will respond telling you the index status. Click the Request Indexing button and Google will put your site in queue to crawl. Since you robots.txt file is not blocking Google, within a couple days this message should go away and Google will start crawling your site again. You can check your index coverage by clicking on Coverage to see what Google has crawled but is blocking based on the robots file.
Hope that helps...
The issue actually remains and worse. Google indexed my site (I added the 4 options: https,http,http-www,https-www). Then I realized that my sitemap was way out of date and submitted that. But my home page is still showing:
Previously Google was highlighting one of my most popular items below my unindexed home page and now it is highlighting one of the most niche items. Hopefully it's super-personalized.
Anyway, it's really hard for me to understand why some of the best pages are excluded, why a password protected page is one of the few that are indexed and the product page of my new google ad is showing as blocked by robots.txt
Very frustrating that I cannot create my own sitemap or unblock my pages.
Everything looks good in your robots.txt and sitemaps. Google may still be updating. I'd be happy to look at GSC for you to see if anything else looks off or if the reports are more telling. If so, you can add steve [at] promoprep.com