Google Not Indexing Product Pages - Help!

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi all,

Desperately looking for someone's expertise.  A few weeks ago, I added the Shopify SSL to our site, www.babyzone.com.au.  I added a new property in Webmaster Tools (GWT), submitted new sitemap and everything was fine and dandy.  Google crawled the site and submitted ~950 pages and was slowly increasing the number of indexed pages and traffic was increasing.  Although the pages were being indexed quite slowly (~10 per day), up to 250 indexed pages, today GWT suddenly decreased my indexed pages to only 76!

I have no idea why and it seems most of the collection pages are still being indexed but hardly any product pages.

All the product descriptions were hand written to avoid duplicate content from around the web.  I haven't changed anything in the code, I can't see anything obvious like a NOINDEX tag on each page and no links have been built recently so I am absolutely stumped.  There are a heap of 301 redirects as we moved the site from Magento back in December 2015 but there are no errors anymore

Product page example: https://www.babyzone.com.au/products/bugaboo-cameleon3-complete

I understand Google will index pages as it seems fit but they were increasing and I was being patient with it but now i just have no idea what has happened.  No manual webspam actions so desperately looking for some help!

Thanks in advance,

Peter

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
338 0 56

Hi Peter,

This may have something to do with how your theme is structured. Google won't typically index duplicate content - and for whatever reason, Google seems to be indexing your product descriptions on your collection pages.

See example:

You could try removing the brand name from the product title and letting Google reindex again? That would be my main suggestion, but maye someone else on the forums with a little more experience with SEO can offer another!

Alicia | Support Lead for Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi, is there any SEO vendor to help? Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

I have the same issue. Has this been solved. If so, can you please let me know how I can bulk index all product pages?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 2
Hi -
Very similar problem. Overall I love shopify, but I'm having a problem with google not indexing our product pages. A few items to know:

- website is: lovelyantiqueprints.com 
- I successfully submitted the sitemap to the Google Search Console (at least twice now)
- google indexed the categories and the homepage
- google did not index any products 
-the URL (for the same product) in the search console that google "excluded" is different than the path you would get by navigating to a product. for example:
https://lovelyantiqueprints.com/products/city-views-palmira-palmyra-syria (Google search Console)

Is there anything I can do to get google to index all our pages. 
Thanks in advance for your help.
Philographikon team
googlesearchconsole.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
74 5 15

Yes,

Google Search Console cannot verify your Sitemap UNLESS you first disable "password protection" on your Shopify store. If you have deactivated password protection then Google will be able to index every product in your store even if you have 10,000 different products. Deactivate that password.

You are know, the Google site verification code will look like this:

<meta name="google-site-verification" content="IV7BPLESttSpBdxSWN1s4zlr4HIcuHkGQYmE3wLG59w" />

Make sure that meta-tag is properly inserted into the <header> section of your theme.liquid.

1. In the Layout section, click theme.liquid to open the file in the online code editor.

2. Paste the meta tag that you copied on a blank line directly below the opening <head> tag:

3. Press 'SAVE.

After you complete these steps --- then you will be able to submit your Sitemap to Google. But remember to deactivate that password.

Happy Selling,

Kevin James

Certified Front-end Developer & SEO Expert

Shopify Approved Partner

kevin@kjproweb.com

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/promoting-marketing/seo/find-site-map

Kevin James
Expert Web Developer & Shopify Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted

Turn off google verification temporarily for your site, which will help google index your products in bulk.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 2
Thanks so much for your reply! I was not aware that my shopify account is
password protected. Other people seem to be able to access it.
I will try and work on the code as you suggested.

Thanks again!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 2

@jackyle wrote:

Turn off google verification temporarily for your site, which will help google index your products in bulk.

Could you explain the steps I need to take please. I am not even sure if this happens in the google search console or on my shopify site.

Of note, when I request indexing individual product pages google does index those. I tried a few and it worked each time. The number of products make this an almost impossible effort and we add new product daily. My point is bulk would be great and ideally continue on as the site grows.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 2

I have verified my shopify site with google and submitted my sitemap. The problem is that it will not index my products.

Please see screenshot above.

Thanks again. 

@kjproweb wrote:

Yes,

Google Search Console cannot verify your Sitemap UNLESS you first disable "password protection" on your Shopify store. If you have deactivated password protection then Google will be able to index every product in your store even if you have 10,000 different products. Deactivate that password.

You are know, the Google site verification code will look like this:

<meta name="google-site-verification" content="IV7BPLESttSpBdxSWN1s4zlr4HIcuHkGQYmE3wLG59w" />

Make sure that meta-tag is properly inserted into the <header> section of your theme.liquid.

1. In the Layout section, click theme.liquid to open the file in the online code editor.

2. Paste the meta tag that you copied on a blank line directly below the opening <head> tag:

3. Press 'SAVE.

After you complete these steps --- then you will be able to submit your Sitemap to Google. But remember to deactivate that password.

Happy Selling,

Kevin James

Certified Front-end Developer & SEO Expert

Shopify Approved Partner

kevin@kjproweb.com

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/promoting-marketing/seo/find-site-map

0 Likes