Google SEO issues after migrating domain

Tourist
6 0 0

Changed main domain and migrated site design and as I submitted the new site to google it seems to be "indexed not submitted in sitemap" and also it shows "Indexed, though blocked by robots.txt" any idea how I could fix this?

Site shows first on both Bing and Yandex so it's only a Google issue (even my facebook page shows on google first page so there's definitely something off), could it be that it just takes several weeks to update? (I submitted it near 2 weeks ago), first the referring page was the old domain but as I disabled all domain redirects it now shows the redirecting page as the current domain /password. 

Here's a screenshot of the sitemap discovery in Google:

Those are the only things I could pick on why it doesn't seem to appear on the search but couldn't find any solutions so far, would appreciate if anyone's got an idea about this, thanks!

0 Likes

What SEO work did you do to prepare the website for migration?

Three big things:

1) Setup redirects for all old URL handles in Shopify

2) Submit the new sitemap to Google and Bing

3) Submit a change of address request in Google Search Console. This ensures a smooth transition in SERPs: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/83106?hl=en

There may be other things depending on your store, but having done SEO migrations for multi-million dollar stores to Shopify and seen organic traffic increase as a result, those are the universal big three. If you want to read more about getting your on-page SEO right for Shopify, you can read my free guide.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
2 Likes

As someone who's handled more than a dozen SEO site migrations, I'm going to second what @Josh_Uebergang said and add my own 2 cents... Website migrations/redesigns can be complex SEO problems. Changing your domain name only compounds the problem because all your SEO "value" is associated with the old domain. If you move everything to a new domain, you're essentially starting over at square one in the eyes of search engines unless you get all your ducks in a row. 

Since you switched domains, it's imperative that you follow the Change of Address process. That process includes setting up redirects from old URLs to equivalent URLs on the new domain and resubmitting your sitemap once those redirects are in place. Right now, it sounds like you're focused too much on indexing signals in GSC. Forget about what you're seeing in GSC and focus on completing the Change of Address. GSC will eventually update, and you'll help expedite that process by successfully eliminating the confusion Google is likely experiencing as a result of the migration.  

Also, you said you "disabled all domain redirects"? I'm not sure what exactly you did, but that doesn't sound right. If search engines can't find a connection between the old URLs (the ones with all the SEO value) and the new URLs (the ones with no SEO value), how are they going to know where to redirect all that value?

Finally, are you tracking your keyword rankings? Not your brand name, but the names of your products and the generic terms people might use to find them if they've never heard of you. If so, what tool are you using to track them and how have they been impacted by the migration? And you should also be monitoring organic traffic in Google Analytics. If you're not looking at these important SEO metrics, you won't truly know the impact of the migration. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0

Thank you very much, I'll check them all.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 0

@KevinW wrote:

Also, you said you "disabled all domain redirects"? I'm not sure what exactly you did, but that doesn't sound right. If search engines can't find a connection between the old URLs (the ones with all the SEO value) and the new URLs (the ones with no SEO value), how are they going to know where to redirect all that value?

Finally, are you tracking your keyword rankings? Not your brand name, but the names of your products and the generic terms people might use to find them if they've never heard of you. If so, what tool are you using to track them and how have they been impacted by the migration? And you should also be monitoring organic traffic in Google Analytics. If you're not looking at these important SEO metrics, you won't truly know the impact of the migration. 

Hey, thanks for your input as well will look into it, I meant I disabled the old redirect from the domain and deleted it from webmasters as I no longer needed the domain it was quite a bit different (keywords etc.), basically starting from square one, was this a bad idea? I simply used the same Shopify account but everything else starting looking to start from the beginning. Pardon me, rather new to SEO.

0 Likes

"basically starting from square one, was this a bad idea?"

Yes. Give this article a read >> How to Change Domain Names, Maintain SEO, and Recover Like a Boss. It does a good job of explaining the steps you're supposed to take. 

The redirects and the Change of Address are both essential. Otherwise Google is going to continue to see two entirely different websites: one domain with years of SEO value built up, and another brand new domain with no SEO value and no connection to the old domain.

At the end of the day, Google can't read our minds, it doesn't understand our intentions, and it can't see inside of your Shopify account. The only way it will understand the big change that just occurred is if you explicitly tell it.

If you want to see data that highlights just how big of a problem this is, send me both domain names and I'll show you. Alternatively, if you have Google Analytics configured properly on both websites, you should be able to evaluate the impact by comparing organic traffic pre- and post-migration. The same could be done if you are tracking keywords with a paid tool like SEMrush. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Cleaning up SEO messes is never pleasant. I can only hope that our conversation here helps someone else avoid this mistake going forward. And most importantly, I hope you're able to quickly recoup your SEO value and get back to running your business :)  

0 Likes