Google Search Console doesn't list 'Pages' sitemap...on two different stores

1 0 0

Another here with the exact same issue. Search console is not fetching "sitemap_pages_1.xml" even though it is listed in my "sitemap.xml" . Tried adding manually and it just says "couldn't fetch".

Are there any ways to manually fix this problem? Apps? 

0 Likes

I've been looking at this same issue on a Plus store right now. @d4nnyp @AquaLiv @C_Woodman @Denis_B @IAP 

The sitemap is valid but is not indexed and Google is not taking it. 

As noted before - the only apparent difference is the xmlns:image= which shouldn't be an issue.

Also inspecting raw headers you'll see that on all accepted sitemaps then you get

X-Shopify-Stage: production

but on pages_1.xml you get

X-Shopify-Stage: canary

Which is probably a code name for things which are bust or have been bust.  My guess is that possibly there was an error before here which means Google is now ignoring these.  From what I gather this can happen.

Anyway - If you try to submit /sitemap_pages.xml and not /sitemap_pages_1.xml - you're in business.

I'm guessing if you've got a tonne of pages then you'll be hit by a pagination limit but for my purposes today it's fine.

✌️

sidenote: it wouldn't be much work to build a new pages xml sitemap - if you need help give me a shout.

★★★ Need help setting up your Shopify store? Hire me here: https://liquify.design ★★
0 Likes
3 0 0

Seeing the same issue. I was wondering why one of our top pages had dropped off over the past few months. Submitted /sitemap_pages.xml sub map for now but not sure how this hasn't been a more widely reported issue.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

This has been an ongoing issue since Feb/19.  I am starting to doubt the Shopify is even watching this thread.  If they are they don't seem to think it is an issue.  I would recommend you call support and report the issue.  The more people that they get reports from the more likely they'll do something about it.

2 Likes
1 0 0

Having the same problem here.   

0 Likes
4 0 0

I have been wondering the same thing. I noticed that adding pages into the Search Console it takes them and says it will index, but all my pages that were supposedly in the sitemap that search console says it indexed are just no there. So if someone does know how to build a new sitemap I think it would be worthwile. I was thinking of changing to a Wordpress site as the cost is lower and probably does not have this issue. Certainly cannot stay in business if the largest search engine does not have your pages

0 Likes

@Skuperman 
read my comment - job done. this line specifically.

Anyway - If you try to submit /sitemap_pages.xml and not /sitemap_pages_1.xml - you're in business.

★★★ Need help setting up your Shopify store? Hire me here: https://liquify.design ★★
0 Likes
1 0 0

Anyway - If you try to submit /sitemap_pages.xml and not /sitemap_pages_1.xml - you're in business.

This worked for me. I was having the same issues as everyone else and I took out the _1 for the pages and it worked. I did the same for collections and blog pages.
0 Likes