Google Search - Updating Cached Price After Price Increase

Peter17
3 0 0

I have an item that used to cost $50 on my store.  I recently increased the price to $70 and I noticed that when I Googled my product, the link to the product page still shows $50 on the Google results page.  

How long does it take for the new price to overwrite the cached results in Google search?  I thought about deleting the item and just adding a new item with the updated price, but the current page has a pretty good SEO that I would like to retain.

0 Likes
Zuzanna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
97 1 24

Hey Peter, 

I'm Zuzanna, from the team here at Shopify :)

It definitely takes time when it comes to getting Google to update their search results. How much times varies depending on a lot of different factors, however, you're in luck, there is a way to speed up the process! You'll want to follow the steps on this page of our Shopify Manual. It will walk you through how to submit a sitemap to Google directly. Essentially what this does it is prompts Google to crawl your pages again and update any of their information. It won't be instant in most cases, but it will get things updated a lot faster than not submitting one! 

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us here :) 

Have a great one,
Zuzanna

0 Likes
Peter17
3 0 0

Thanks, I just uploaded a site map and it's been labelled as processed.  Does it take a few hours after it has been labelled as processed for the new price to show up on Google search results?

0 Likes
Peter17
3 0 0

I am still seeing this after updating the site map manually with Google 30+ hours ago.  Is there something wrong with Shopify's sitemap indexing?  I've seen other platforms (ie. Magento) update almost instantaneously after manually running the sitemap index with Google - same with custom websites.  It really seems like there's something wrong with the sitemap index file Shopify creates.

0 Likes