Google Shopping App - Product "Description is not valid" Error

Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm trying to integrate my shopify page with Google Shopping. The site is verified on google merchant account. Products appear on google merchant account... but they are inactive because I keep getting an error message when I try to save and publist. "Description is not valid".

I re-wrote the product description 10 times and nothing seems to work, any guidance?

I have a simple website with 1 product and 2 varients. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
40 0 8

Hey Nick!

Jesse here from the Shopify Guru Team!

I'm going to go ahead and shoot you an email about this directly to dig into this a bit deeper. That's a pretty strange issue and looking into the back end of your store would be best :)

I'll be in touch!

Jesse - Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I am having this same issue on my site as well.  This product is giving me an issue.

https://www.maniacmotorsport.com/products/power-commander-v-pc5-usb-harley-davidson-touring-models-2...

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I am also having the same issue on my site too.  I have 16 products giving me errors.  How do I fix?  This is one of my products.

https://www.yourgardenstop.com/products/4-ft-metal-garden-bench-with-bronze-highlights-over-antique-...

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Me too. It's driving me up the wall. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it! Help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello,

Is there a way to overwrite the product descriptions in Google Merchant Center? Some of my product descriptions in Shopify are too long and don't meet Google Merchant requirements and gives me the following error:

Value too long in attribute: description: examples

0 Likes
Highlighted
21 0 0

Hi all,

Without actually looking at your products within your Google Merchant Center, this can be hard to diagnose. However, some common problems of descriptions not being valid could be that (1) they're too long (2) they look 'gimmicky', as in they have words that are in all capital letters or promotional text like 'free shipping' (3) they contain information about other products on your site. Problems 2 or 3 might be what's happening to Patrick and Derek.

These things could all be addressed manually by inspecting the feed before uploading to Google with a local file. Another way to address this is to use a feed platfom that will help you format your feed to Google specifications. For example, in Feedonomics, you can make adjustments to your feed (say trim the length, delete promotional text, replace 'gimmicky' words, etc.) in real-time to your data and have that be automatically uploaded to the Google Merchant Center.

I hope that helps!

Brian

CTO / Co-Founder

Feedonomics

CTO/ Chief Architect @ Feedonomics.com | The #1 Shopping Feed Platform - Optimized Product Feeds Perform Better
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 1

Regarding Freedonomics - never trust a website service that "hides" it's pricing behind an "email us and we will be in touch".

Why do you hide the most important piece of information about your service?  It can only be for bad reasons for the customer!

There are loads of other more transparent services.  Just search online.

0 Likes
Highlighted
21 0 0

In response to Charles, we do not openly share pricing on our website because it's of vital importance to us that we get to know and understand each prospective client's specific feed/eCommerce situation before they sign up. We want to communicate the full scope of our capabilities so that interested prospects can make a truly informed decision. Our commitment to service and support is reflected by the fact that members from our executive team frequently participate in these initial calls. We know that a call is crucial for giving each potential client the undivided respect and attention they deserve.

Brian

CTO/ Chief Architect @ Feedonomics.com | The #1 Shopping Feed Platform - Optimized Product Feeds Perform Better
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Nick_Anderson have you tried any other solutions besides the native Shopify Google app? I can only speak for GoDataFeed, but our integration smooths out a lot of the common issues associated with canned/generic feeds. Here's the difference:

1) The Google Merchant Center validation process. We catch errors -- and help you fix them -- even before you submit to Google.

2) Rule-based automation. You decide what data comes through -- not the app. We give you full control of how your product listing information is displayed. That includes the ability to standardize fields like descriptions and titles. You can even concatenate multiple values into a single field for more advanced optimization.

@Charles_Marks  I kind of agree with you on the pricing comment. That's why we provide straightforward pricing plans with clear descriptions of what's included. Of course, you can always reach out for even more detail.

Hope that helps!

Digital Marketer @ GoDataFeed
0 Likes