Google Shopping - "&" vs. "and"

Highlighted
Tourist
19 0 1

I just integrated with Google Shopping using the Shopify app. I sell a product called "Rock & Roll Cowgirl."

I noticed today that my products are showing up for "Rock & Roll Cowgirl" but not "Rock and Roll Cowgirl." I was under the impression that Google treated "&" and "and" the same - but it appears it does not.

Does anyone know how I can get my products to show up for both search terms?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
36 0 2

Hey Chad,

Really great question! 

I did search through Google Shopping for both "Rock & Roll Cowgirl" as well as "Rock and Roll Cowgirl". The products that showed were identical no matter which method I used to search. 

I am not sure exactly of the logic that Google Shopping uses, but if it uses anything similar to search/adwords, then it should recognize the two as synonyms. 

You could look to change the alt text of each image to match both the '&' as well as the 'and'. Coupling that with changing the meta description of the item could allow it to show up for both if the problem persists for you. 

But it appears to work great right now :)

Connor

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
19 0 1

Thank you for taking a look, Connor.

Since you were seeing the same results with both terms, I searched again today. Now I see my results for both "&" and "and." For the past few days my store was not showing up for "and" (but was the #1 result for "&").

I wonder if there was some additional crawling or if the algorithms need some time to translate the words. But in any case, it seems like the issue iresolved itself.

I may try the alt text and meta description suggestion, too, though!

Thanks for the help. As always, I am amazed at Shopify's support.

0 Likes