Google Site Verification not working - using meta tag

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hello,

I see from older posts others have had this problem so I've read them but is there a lag between saving the changes and seeing them live on the site?

I have added the Google verification code to the theme.liquid file and saved the changes but when I view the source code of the live site it doesn't appear.

I have also added the Google Analytics code as per the instructions in the dashboard and I can see the UA-XXXXXX id in the source code.

So if the addition of the analytics works then why doesn't the google-site-verification code appear?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1057 62 124

Hi there @Redspan!

Don here from Shopify.

We're a bit limited in how far we can support external integrations such as with Google, but we can definitely check a few things out together here.

Firstly, could you share a link to your store with us here and give me a general idea of where in the theme code you had placed this so I can double-check the placement for you?

This should usually be picked up by Google pretty quickly, once it's possible for the site to be crawled and that code to be picked up.

One thing I would advise you to check out is to ensure you have removed your store's password page in the Online store > Preferences menu in the admin.

If you can, just check that out and share the link to your store with me here when you get a chance so we can dig into this.

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi @Don,

The site is https://www.zeropointaviation.com/

I placed the meta tag in the head section of the theme.upload file and saved the change.

I have refreshed my browser and waited but it still doesn't show when I check the source code of the page.

There is no password enabled.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1057 62 124

Hi again @Redspan!

Don from Shopify once more.

Thanks for that link and info!

I had a look around there and can't immediately determine why this might not be picked up from your site.

Could you confirm the name of the theme you are using currently as it was originally downloaded, so we can check on how you will be able to get support for this theme?

This will help us to determine how we can proceed here and how you'll be able to get support for this issue.

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi @Don 

It's still not working so it wasn't just a case of waiting.

Google Analytics is now showing data but if I try to verify the site using the analytics option in the Google Search Console dashboard it says the code is malformed, presumably because Shopify doesn't simply copy and paste the analytics code.  It takes the ID and uses code of its own.

You can clearly see that the code is in place in line 9 in theme.liquid file

Screenshot 2020-10-30 074808.png

Surely I don't need to ask for support elsewhere for such a simple task?  The code is in one of the core theme files but it doesn't show on the live site.  That's not a customization problem.  It's proof that the live files and the edited files are not in synch, and that's down to the Shopify backend.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1057 62 124

Hi again @Redspan!

Don from Shopify once again.

I just confirmed with our technical team internally that this is indeed a theme issue, rather than a core admin one, and thus would need to be supported as such.

If you can confirm the name of the theme as you originally downloaded it, we can check where you will be able to get support for this theme.

Just let us know that when you can and we can proceed to get you some help for this.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi @Don,

The theme was added by someone else and given a bespoke name 'New ZeroPoint'.  Where would I find the real theme name?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1057 62 124

Hi again @Redspan!

You can check this out in the Online store > Themes > Customise theme menu in the admin.

From that menu, you can click on 'Theme actions' in the bottom left to see more info on that theme, where you should be able to find the name of the theme, its developers, and where you can get support for this theme.

Let me know if you need a hand finding this info, or if you need help finding contact info in the case of a paid, non-Shopify theme.

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi @Don 

I cannot find what you describe.  Online Store > Themes > shows the live theme with the Actions drop down menu containing options View, Rename, Duplicate etc but no information about the developer.

Bottom left there is a Settings icon but that's for the main dashboard account, not the theme.

Why is this so difficult to find?  Surely, you, as tech support for Shopify, can look at a live site's source code and determine who's code it is?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1057 62 124

Hi again @Redspan!

If you check the steps again and head to the Online store > Themes > Customise theme menu, that is where you will be able to find the 'Theme actions' option you can click on to learn this info.

We are required to abide by strict security protocols in order to protect our merchants' info, meaning I cannot divulge this info publicly but rather can direct you how to find this for yourself securely.

If you then volunteer this info, we can proceed to find the contact info you would need.

You may be lucky enough that the contact info and support site for that theme is linked directly in the theme actions menu (within the theme customiser) so you'll be able to reach out by yourself.

If not, just let us know the theme name so we can track that down for you. 

Regards,

Don

0 Likes