Google says my images are too large

Ceramix
Excursionist
15 0 4

I need help compressing my images for my landing page above the fold. I cannot afford photo editing tools so need to do this via free sources. I have beautiful images which I compressed with text. The text looks horrible as can be seen on my site. https://www.ceramix.co.za/ I then compressed the images & then added the text. The text then made the file size too large. Google says my images are too large. Everything needs to be reduced from between 15 to 80%

I use pixlr for my text & Riot for compressing.

0 Likes
Robert_O_Brien
Excursionist
49 0 12

Pixlr text gets blurry. try using canva for text layover. when creating the image in canva try sizing  using 2/3 the image isize in pixls. ie 1000 x 300  becomes 667 x 200.  the slideshow will resize your image. if its not crisp, then remake it full size

check out my video here. i made it for a friend https://youtu.be/m4L0LxB_TOE

0 Likes
Ceramix
Excursionist
15 0 4

Thank you so much Robert for your response & the video. You opened up a whole new world for me it is greatly appreciated. I have been fiddleing with so many different photo editors & honestly did not know if I was coming or going. It is such a relief to know that other people also switch between the editors.

The problem is that I have to have very specific sizes for my slide show 1278 x 400 & 406 x 200 for the images below this. Although your solution did not completely solve my problem of my images being too large for Google I am very happy with the result I got using pixlr & canva. I have even managed to add a call to action on my images. I just wanted to be certain that there was not something I should have been doing to compress my images more. I ended up Compressing my images on Pixlr then adding the text on Canva & then compressing the images on Pixlr once again.

I would appreciate it if you could look at my web site once again & let me know if you think what I did is acceptable. I have had my site up for 18 months & am not able to get out there. This year I intend on blogging a whole lot. It is no use blogging if you do not have anything interesting to say.  I am busy getting a physical gallery together so people can come & view my product. Ceramic is a touchy feely thing & people are very worried about it getting broken in transit. I am overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to do as I personally make the product as well.

As they say "the harder you work the luckier you get".

Have a Happy Day

Regards

Margaret

0 Likes
Robert_O_Brien
Excursionist
49 0 12

I'm glad I was able to help.  Your current images are a little blurry. I think if your images are about .8 MB per slideshow, you should be fine with load times.

Try this tool https://tools.pingdom.com

My homepage get a score of 86. It's fair.

Did you try making the orginal images 2/3 the size 1278 x 400 in canva?  Try that and reload the new image into your slide show.  Shopify slide show will propotionately stretch the image to fit the space.  This may allow you to skip the final PIXLR step.

I general, I would not worry about a picture perfect website.  I would shift your efforts to promotion of your work and getting traffic.  People aren't as critical as you might be.

WOW them with videos about your creative process. Ceramic creation is fascinating.  People will buy you, your ceramics are what they willl get. People love to show their friends when they discover something cool and they will talk about you.  And if you have videos they will share those too. It will reinforce their buying decison.

Best wishes

0 Likes
Ceramix
Excursionist
15 0 4

Thank you so much.

Pingdom says I have lots of work to do. I got a performace grade of 69.

I got someone to do a video but I hated it. Once I get my gallery up & running I am going to do the videos as you suggest.

Thank you so much for your input.

0 Likes
Robert_O_Brien
Excursionist
49 0 12

Perhaps make your hi.e page smaller with less on it. It will load faster. Visitors do not scroll down a lot. They prefer the menu most. 

Try a website called Mouseflow.com

0 Likes
Ceramix
Excursionist
15 0 4

Thank you very much. I see they even have a free plan. Yes I was thinking that I need to change my theme.

How long have you had your site up for?

0 Likes
Robert_O_Brien
Excursionist
49 0 12

My shop has been up for 3 years and 4 months. 

I did a theme change about a year ago and I'm glad I did.

0 Likes