Have you ever hired an SEO expert?

Highlighted
7 0 0

Hello, wanted to know if anyone has hired an SEO expert to help with their website? If so- did you have success with it, did you make money, did you learn anything, has it increased traffic, sales, improved your site, did you learn anything, would you do it again?

www.summerfields.ca   (our site)

Summerfields

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

This is an excellent question. I am similarly intrigued by this - my main concern is that hiring an SEO expert would be a "black box" and you wouldn't really learn anything in the long run. Would be interested to listen to the community's experiences with this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
75 0 9

Hi Brad!

That’s a good question!

The answer depends on your goal.

If you have a well-structured and clean code, if search engines can easily index your text, and the most important, if you have enough visitors who converts to customers, you probably don’t need SEO much.

But if the situation is opposite and your conversion is low why not to try SEO?

You may have a look at the article https://www.shopify.com/videos/ecommerce-seo-101/seo-content-tutorial . It can help you to make a decision.

There are many offering of SEO services starting from individuals and coming to well known agencies. Before you make a decision whom should you hire, I would suggest to have a look at some topics with advice how to hire the right SEO Consultant:  https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/227229 or http://www.cio.com/article/2400260/careers-staffing/top-10-things-to-look-for-in-an-seo-expert.html 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey Brad, 

I've had great success with hiring an SEO expert, especially since I don't consider myself analytical enough to do it myself. My SEO expert helps target keywords that rank on google, builds links, and makes my content more "seo friendly". He is amazing. If you would like me to pass along his information, please email me and I will send an email introduction. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Brad, 

I signed a contract with an SEO expert for 1 year .   It was really expensive- around USD 1000 per month, but to be honest, it was a waste of money and you are better off doing it yourself- there are plenty of guides on the internet....

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Hello,

This is the most common problem, people build the site and then ask for SEO, like everything else products - cars, planes, furniture all is done with a proper blueprint and execution. If you build your site 1st and then SEO that is a very bad software engineering. I develop websites for a long time myself all needs to be done before you even start building one with proper blueprint. 

At this situation the best was like Yana mentioned above you need a SEO consultant who will inspect the site properly. Without inspecting it and if you hire somebody you can end up with even worse situation. - When I finished this post Joanne Pereira just posted that she had that experience - site needs to be inspected 1st and then options proposed and explained. I noticed this for so many people, they are falling for wrong decisions.

SEO practices they take time to apply because it is not also about applying White Hat SEO rules but also how you doing them and then based on that Google and other search engines are sending out spiders to crawl them and that takes time, so if you do something wrong it takes months to undo and go other route.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

It depends on the SEO "Expert". We have a shopify store,but our main business is WDS Pros which is an online digital marketing agency. We actually have a very different business model than most. When talking to any prospective client the first time we offer for FREE an SEO test. This is not a report like most agencies provide. We actually prove the results with the test. We take a keyword or general search term and then attempt to rank it very quickly. If the test result is good then SEO is viable option. If not we communicate this with the client and offer other solutions for marketing their business. We are very honest and upfront. We have zero sales reps because we do not sell. We research, test, get results and consult. We will only take on SEO campaigns with positive results that both the client and ourselves can see via a screen shot. In some cases SEO is an uphill battle and would take a ton of resources and time, hence increased cost. We in this case always offer alternative solutions for marketing or if the client still insists on SEO we lay out realistic expectations.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

We have hired companies and individuals and have had much better luck hiring companies.  With that said, we recently hired a company that are "Amazon SEO" experts.  They are amazing and worth checking out if you actively sell on Amazon (www.EvolvedCommerce.com).  In a month, our Amazon.com revenue is up over 80%.

Adam Schwartz

Adam@FRESHeTECH.com

www.FRESHeTECH.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I agree with most of the people that left messages on this forum about SEO. Keep in mind that there are different levels of SEO. Many local business owners are usually trying to rank Organically when they really only need to rank locally. Google has been trying to show many local business owners that if they just set up their websites, directories and online and offline SEO campaigns for local traffic as opposed to organic traffic they would do just as good if not better! Local SEO with the correct website page setup, LSI, long-tail keywords and well researched and written content will many times get you more traffic then your business can probably handle without having to spend as much on SEO as you think.

Any questions, reply back.. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 0 5

At iShop Limited we work with many different merchants, some of which have opted (regretfully) to work with so-called SEO Experts.  Many come back to us for advice on how to undo all of the work they paid for.

In the past we've helped organise the removal of bad inbound links that were purchased, and in some cases we've even ported an established store to a new domain, such was the severity of the negative impact caused by one particular SEO company.

We've also found time and time again that the SEO individuals and companies are often self-serving.  They will write "articles" for your website, but they'll be sure to link it up with keywords relevant to their own industry.  You end up paying them to build their own link profile.

Lastly, some SEO companies will claim they own the content they produce for you.  If you stop paying them, they reserve the right to remove their content - Like some kind of protection racket.

That said, there are some SEO good apples, and If your budget allows for it, I recommend you hire someone reputabae, to come into your office to do their job.  They will be more accountable for what they do, and less likely to "bodge" it than if they remain faceless.

I hope that helps you in what can be a real minefield.

Mat

0 Likes