Healthy traffic, but no conversions. Any advice?

Tourist
6 0 2
Hello,

We have recently launched our online shop at www.maezu.com.

Using a mix of Google & Bing Ads, SEO and Affiliates, we send a healthy amount of traffic to the site. However, conversion rate has been terrible and below 0.005%.

We're sending most traffic to product pages, such as https://www.maezu.com/shop/cufflinks/clockwork-gold-cufflinks/

Customers don't seem to stay on the page for too long and just exit it after a few seconds without browsing other products.

I was hoping to get some advice from the community to see if there's something fundamentally wrong with our site and what we can improve?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!
1 Like

Hi Treveller,

First you need to check the relevancy of your ads. Are your ads speaking the same language as landing pages. Relevancy is very important in advertising. When a user clicks on the ads he/she has certain expectation to the landing page. If that expectations can be met at the landing page then only user will proceed further. 

Second thing you need to check the performance of your webpages. Are they loading fast enough. According to a survey most of the users leave a webpages without interacting further if it loads in more than 3 seconds. 

You also need to check the pricing of your products. Are they cost effective when compare to competitors? Are you transparent in your shiping cost or any additional costs? These things are really important and it engage or make customers go away.  

Free trial of enterprise-grade real-time e-commerce analytics apps at IQLECT. Visit website to know more: https://www.iqlect.com
1 Like

I think is the matter of brand. Your product is not cheap but if people don't know you they are scared to buy something expensive from you.

Did you try to run remarketing ads?

Can you tell us more how your ads look like in Google and Facebook? What image do you use, what copy?

Thanks!

Your store can sell more. We can prove it.
1 Like
1 0 1

Hi - Adam Pearce here from Blend Commerce. Having taken a look at your products, I feel it would be worthwhile testing out the use of boosted posts and chatbots for your ads. Some basic ideas for a post would be:

- Looking for a new style? Let our team provide you with a tailored style guide.

- Heading to a wedding this summer? Work with our style bot now to create the perfect outfit.

By boosting these posts to either previously engaged audiences or new audiences with relevant characteristics, a chat bot using manychat could be used to ask as series of questions to the user. Based on responses, a 'style guide' can be sent via email (collated from bot), thus opening up further opportunities to retarget and market. 

Hope this helps.

1 Like
Tourist
6 0 2

First of all, thank you all so much for your insight – it’s really appreciated!  Taking the different points in turn:

Ad Relevancy@Deepak, Agreed that we might need to adjust our ad text.  Currently most of the traffic is driven by display ads, rather than search ads, so people might just be curious and click on the image without any intention to browse or buy.  A copy of our ad would read like this:

Gold Clockwork Cufflinks | MAEZU

Elegant, high-quality cufflinks by MAEZU starting from $40 with eco-friendly gift box.  Curated just for you: Shop our premium collection of selected men's accessories now!

Link:  https://www.maezu.com/shop/cufflinks/clockwork-gold-cufflinks/

Site Speed:  I’ve run it in Google Speedtest and it scores average – I think it takes about 2-3 seconds to load, depending on location.  The thing is, I can check on Hotjar that people are actually loading the site, but then leave after 10 seconds or so without much interaction, hence I wanted to see if there’s a fundamental problem with our site.

Pricing:  That’s a very good point. @notboringagency, it’s interesting that you perceive it as not cheap, whereas some people told me it’s not expensive.  We do free shipping and have lowered our margins substantially already, but perhaps we need to do further price cuts…

Chatbots: @AdamBlendThanks for the idea, it’s a creative approach and we do like the idea of a style guide, so will look into it.  However, my main concern remains that the conversion rate is 10x lower than the market average…not sure if other people have come across this phenomenon and what was done to resolve it?

Thank you all,

Marcus

1 Like
Highlighted
25 0 0

Have you tried remarketing campaign to remind your customer about the viewed products or the abandoned cart?

Also, you can send emails to your clients about abandoned carts.

Use social sharing, offer discounts and provide useful contents to keep them stay on site longer.

For further, you still need to get insight into your customers, so that you can make a brilliant marketing plan.

Get actionable E-commerce tracking with Ecomfit app - http://tiny.cc/learn-ecomfit
0 Likes

@Traveller wrote:

Ad Relevancy@Deepak, Agreed that we might need to adjust our ad text.  Currently most of the traffic is driven by display ads, rather than search ads, so people might just be curious and click on the image without any intention to browse or buy.  A copy of our ad would read like this:

Gold Clockwork Cufflinks | MAEZU

Elegant, high-quality cufflinks by MAEZU starting from $40 with eco-friendly gift box.  Curated just for you: Shop our premium collection of selected men's accessories now!

Link:  https://www.maezu.com/shop/cufflinks/clockwork-gold-cufflinks/

Site Speed:  I’ve run it in Google Speedtest and it scores average – I think it takes about 2-3 seconds to load, depending on location.  The thing is, I can check on Hotjar that people are actually loading the site, but then leave after 10 seconds or so without much interaction, hence I wanted to see if there’s a fundamental problem with our site.

Thank you all,

Marcus

HI Marcus, Your ads for cufflinks is looking good. But you need to add the 25% off and free shipping in the messaging as well. And the place your ads are seen is also very important as you told. 

For page speed you need to make your website as good as possible. Follow the suggestions given by Page Speed Insights and you'll be fine. 

Best of luck for your sales. 

Best,

Deepak Pal 

Free trial of enterprise-grade real-time e-commerce analytics apps at IQLECT. Visit website to know more: https://www.iqlect.com
2 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi George, I appreciate the brutally honest feedback, thank you.  Yes, you are right, it is a niche market with lower demand than high volume products, but at the same time there is also less competition out there.   

I did think that my advertising wasn't good enough, that's why I paid for a membership with ShareASale, hoping that more experienced marketing experts would be able to drive the right traffic to my site, but it's been nearly 3 weeks since my sign-up and nada...

I take your comment that we might be targeting the wrong group of people, but do you have suggestions as to what other channels we should  explore? As of now, we're doing search & display ads, re-marketing, affiliates and soft Instagram advertising.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Thanks again Deepak for browsing our site!  I will add another ad variation with the promo and free delivery.

On site speed, I think we maxed out what we can do - I am loading a number of analytics tools using scripts, hence it might increase the loading script (but it shouldn't be unbearable, unless you felt otherwise?)

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
158 5 44

Hello, there!

I would echo what some of the other posters have mentioned about your ad relevancy. It's really important to make sure your ads match up with the landing pages so that visitors are confused by what they land on when the click. 

Something else I noticed is that your Instagram feed shows a lot content from other sources. Consider posting more original content showcasing your own products. It might also be a good idea to find some influencers who can help increase your followers and build trust. We have an excellent post about content marketing here you may find very helpful to learn how to create engaging content.

I'm not sure if you're aware that Shopify has an Instagram channel. With it you can tag your products in your Instagram posts and link them to your checkout. It might be something you'd like to consider for the future if you decide to move away from your current platform.

_Ash_ | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like