Hi! Getting sitemaps in the SERP

wtodd1217
5 0 0

Hey everyone just having some issues where I have "product sitemaps" being indexed in Google, or at least they are showing up on the SERP.  Any way to fix this? 

image.png

0 Likes

Hi @wtodd1217

It's probably that the search result for Sitemap only showed up on your SERP only due to cache and the fact you're the store owner. 

I tried to search for it and it did not show up on my search result page. In fact, this page is nested inside Omitted Results - which is Search Results Google deems irrelevant and not indexable. 

Screenshot (15).png

So I'd say that you should not worry about it. 

If you want to learn more about How To Remove an URL from Search Engine, check out this article: https://ahrefs.com/blog/remove-urls-from-google/#how-to-remove-urls 

Let me know if my answer is of any help with a thumb up or like. 

--

This May 19-20th, we are having C-level E-commerce experts from #Shopify, Recart, vitals, The Dropshipping Council, Easyship and ZAGO to join us in the extraordinary conference: "eCommence 2021 - To Survive Is To Thrive". 

In this event these experts will guide you from A to Z how to build successful store and provide tips regarding the newest trend in E-Commerce! This is a never-before opportunity where you can get lessons from the best minds in the industry without paying any fee (yes, the treat's on us ).

Nothing to lose, just gaining from the best minds in the game. Sign up now cause we only take the first 500 registers! SIGN UP HERE

CRO Expert at PageFly - Advanced Shopify Page Builder - Empowering 90.000+ active merchants.

Check our Evergreen Guide on Moving Your Brick-n-Mortar Store Online.

Want To Strive The Coolest E-commerce Knowledge? Explore Our FREE Video Resources.

wtodd1217
5 0 0

Okay, that makes sense. One thing that worries me is that They are reported as having a lot of impressions by Google Search Console. 

Is this normal? 

Capture.PNG

0 Likes
KieranR
Shopify Partner
295 24 87

Do you have internal anchor links to your sitemaps? Maybe remove those if so. 

Only other way I could think to get those out of the index is to use an HTTP header returned only on .xml URLs like: 

X-Robots-Tag: noindex

This is super advanced and you'd need something like Cloudflare O2O in front on a $200/mo business plan and some fairly custom code in the form of CF workers to insert on the fly. Also would introduce room to easily break the whole site if you don't know what you're configuring.

I'd be inclined to agree - not that big a deal, ignore.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
0 Likes

No, the impression on sitemap pages is not normal!

GET FREE PAYSTUB INSTANTLY > 1st default stub free worth $4.99
0 Likes
KieranR
Shopify Partner
295 24 87

Was thinking, if you throw up all of the sitemap URLs into GSC it may help Google to recognise them as a sitemap rather than as content. Just a theory but not hard to try.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
0 Likes
wtodd1217
5 0 0

I gave that a shot a couple of days ago, and it gave me an error. Not sure if this is a good thing as far as getting them de-indexed though. They still show up in Core Web Vitals for me as having bad LCP.

wrong.PNG

0 Likes