Hilariously Bad Conversion Rate with Google PLA

Kevin_Marszalek
6 0 0

I'm currently experiencing a .2% Conversion rate with an 88% bounce rate on a Google PLA/Google Shopping Campaign.

There are a number of factors that are contributing to this including:

1) Google Serving the Wrong Ad for the Product Searched

2) Google Serving completely irrelevant Ads, as an example: Serving product ads on obvious Video Game Queries.

3) Various issues with my site that I'm aware of and am working to fix.

4) Utilizing an unoptimized data feed

Some of this can be resolved with negative keywords but my biggest source of frustration is the Shopify Google Shopping App.

Simply put, the Shopify Google Shopping App is completely useless.

There is no way to fully optimize the data feed with the app and I would highly recommend that anybody who is serious about PLA, export their products and come up with their own solution. If you are selling products in a competative space, you will burn money with an unoptimized feed, and then if you properly optimize your feed, if the app syncs your products, certain optimizations will be over written, so you can't use it after your initial experince of annhiliating your ad spend.

So the app is, unfortunately, only going to work with stores where they are selling relatively noncompetative products and/or don't need any feed optimization.

0 Likes

The best place to start is optimizing your feed. From there you should be able to ensure by default, most of the search queries triggered for your campaign are relevant. Ensure you have th emost relevant Google Product Category, any GTINs if applicable, good keyword rich titles and descriptions. Following that, you can also build a negative keyword list to stop your ads triggering for specific search terms.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Kevin_Marszalek
6 0 0

Thanks for the advice, but the problem is, I have no good solution to do that.

The only solution that I can personal come up with is to export the store data, import it into a local database, then generate the feed, and upload it to Google. This works for me but is a lot of work compared to the amount of time it would take to code the unimplemented functionality in the app that Shopify supplies.

I'm fairly confident that I'm going to have to do this, since I have no solution at all for Bing and a few other platforms.

I could use metafields, but this doesn't really help, I would then have to export two datasets, mash the data together into a feed. I can't think of any advantages to doing it that way.

Is the source code to the app available? It would be much easier on my end to just finish coding it.

0 Likes