How To Create Product Templates for Other Store's Affiliate Links

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hello. I would like to add affiliate products along with my existing products on my store. I have seen other discussions here addressing this, but none have shown clear-cut instructions on how to do so.

I understand that we have to make a new product template in the HTML editor of the theme, but I don't know what code to input. There was a tutorial I read, but it only showed code for how to replace the "Add-To-Cart" button with an e-mail. 

My question is, what exactly do I put with my template editor. For example, if the affiliate link to the product I want to refer was this:

http://barongwarehouse.com/pro?rfsn=171409.a73a5

Please help! Thanks in advance for any input.

-Barong Warehouse | Quality Barong Tagalog and FIlipiniana at the Lowest Prices-
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
500 1 56

Hi Chelo,

My name is Anne, on the Guru team. Thanks so much for getting in touch with us here on the forums!

Can you let us know a little more about what you mean when you say affiliate products and how you'd like it to work? It sounds like you mean you want to have a product in your store, and then have that product link to another webpage instead of adding to cart, is that correct?

Would you mind linking the Shopify docs that you are using as well?

Thanks Chelo!

Warm regards,

Anne :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hey Anne,

Thanks for your reply. You see, I have my own products already selling, but I was hoping to add other products of other people's (dropship or affiliate marketing from Amazon, etc.) too and yes, the ADD-TO-CART button would no longer exist and a button like LEARN-MORE would and it would take it to the product's actual page on another domain.

I somehow gathered that to do this would be to simply create a new product template. I'm just asking what code do I need to make this happen?

The Shopify docs that I read were so old (from 2013 maybe)...I found them from link to link and those discussions were no longer active. I think it will be difficult to find them again.

Kindly tell me if this (affiliate marketing from Amazon, etc) is even possible. I think it would be a great addition to your users' sites because it would allow us to create more diversity in our webstores and give Shopify more functionality over its competitors. 

Best regards, Chelo

-Barong Warehouse | Quality Barong Tagalog and FIlipiniana at the Lowest Prices-
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
500 1 56

Hi Chelo,

Thanks for coming back to me :)

• It sounds like you are hoping to redirect your users away from Shopify, which is cool once the affiliates you mention are pleased with that too! You'd need to check in with them to see what they are happy with :)
  • If you are creating a new template, you can use this doc to change the add to cart button, and where it says "for an email link, use this" option, replace it with the link URL and your own message- the https://docs.shopify.com/manual/configuration/store-customization/communicating-with-customers/provi...
  • This doc is created for Shopify themes, and while may work for themes that are similar, if you are using a third party theme you may need to reach out to them for guidance as some of the code may be different to what is mentioned in the doc!
  • Don't forget that If you are a store owner in the US other sales channels available to you are Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter!
  • If you are using other e-commerce platforms outside of Shopify, you may like to look at some of these sync apps to help you keep a track of this- https://apps.shopify.com/search/query?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=feeds

Thanks Chelo!

Anne :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi again Anne,

That is how affiliate marketing works. I would be given a link that users will click and I get commission off the sale. It's perfectly legal and perfectly fine with all parties involved. It's a win-win situation and I know from the forums I've read here that other people have tried to do this too.

Unfortunately, I have already tried that doc that you have sent me and I was not able to reconfigure it through my theme's coding, which is completely different from the example in that doc.

I am aware of other sales channels and are using them already. My point with linking other site's products is to beef up my site's offerings. And, I am not using a third-party theme, I bought mine off of Shopify...I was not aware there are third-party themes out there. 

It sounds like you have never had to deal with this before, so I'll save you from any more trouble. It looks like I have to go to coding school or hire someone and pay some crazy fee, but that's life. I posted this hoping someone here would know what is possible to do. 

Thank you for your time Anne. Have a good one.

Has any other store owners have any luck with this? Please share your insights. If this thread is closed, you may reach me at info@barongwarehouse.com and we can compare notes.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
500 1 56

Hi Chelo,

Sure thing! Best of luck with your affiliate scheme!

I just wanted to let you know that a third party theme is anything in the Shopify theme store that wasn't create by Shopify.Here is an example of what you'd see in the theme store, if you want to check out your theme name there- https://themes.shopify.com/

Anne 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Chelo, did you ever find a solution for this? I can't seem to find a clear explanation on how to add a "learn more" button on certain products with a specific link.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hey Jeff,

As far as I know, Shopify currently does not have affiliate marketing options. I decided to create another site for the affiliate marketing that is coded specifically for that then create a landing website for both my store and affiliate marketing site. It's a lot more work, but that is the best solution I could come up with.

Let me know if you ever find a way...

-Chelo

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi so I just want to clarify, if you are an affiliate for other sites you are unable to add the links to your shopify pages? Please clarify and if there is a way to add the links please give the steps on that. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
500 1 56

Hi Diana,

You are able to add any links to Shopify pages and even to the theme templates using html!

Here is our own Help Center Doc on this :)

Warm regards,

Anne

0 Likes