How do I stop getting fake likes on Facebook?

Highlighted
1 0 0

My store is currently in it's pre-launch phase. I'm hoping to start selling my products in the next 2 months, so for now my primary aim is building up my social media channels and customer list.

When I don't boost posts, Facebook typically shows them to between 3-5% of my followers. When I do boost and target users with interests alligned with my brand, the majority of the likes I get are from what are clearly fake accounts and click farms. My last post has been shown to 208 people 'paid' and received 4 likes from countries known for click farms, by users looking highly unlikely to have any interest in my products.

I already solely target London, as much of my market will be there, and also in an effort to avoid clicks from Pakistan, Algeria, India etc. However this doesn't seem to help much, as I get many likes from people with their location set as London but who are clearly in another country.

Is there any way around this problem? I feel as if I'm paying to advertise to a fake audience.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
54 0 10

Hello Nick,

Brian here, from the Shopify team. :) I hope the week is treating you well.

I can certainly understand that you are concerned that your boosted posts may be going to some Facebook accounts that are not genuine, and so I have looked into this a bit further. I am afraid though that there isn't any way to 100% prevent your boosted posts from being shown to these accounts. It does appear as though Facebook understand this issue, and if they have any suspicion that some clicks are invalid, they will not charge for those clicks, as they outline here: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/211248262238771

In the meantime, you mention that you target your ads at London, however it also sounds as though you may have a good few followers already, as you mention your posts currently hitting 3-5% of your followers. Have you tried targeting your posts at these followers and their friends instead? Assuming that these followers are based in London it may still help to grow your fanbase, while also reducing the risk of invalid accounts getting the boost too.

I hope this helps shed a bit more light on it. :) If you have any other questions or issues, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us at support@shopify.com.

Have a lovely day!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 0 10

Hi Nick, that's indeed annoying.

Besides on geographic location (London), which targeting options are you using?

StoreGrowers.com - no-fluff ecommerce marketing advice
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 1

Hi Nick, what a great idea (cricket protein powered bars). 

1. Do not worry about the fake likes - focus on the real ones

2. If you are open to it, I would like to look into how to get some relevant paid traffic from Facebook for you in return for a potential case study.

Best

@harmitk
0 Likes