How far in advance do you announce your sales?

Amanda_at_Re-Mi
Excursionist
22 0 7

Our go-to for sales is to offer free shipping, usually for no more than 24-48 hours at a time. 

We are having a debate in the office right now about whether it is better to announce the sale several days before it starts (to give people time to prepare) or if that kills sales for the in between days, and leads to us giving free shipping to people who would have paid for shipping during those days, making it better to wait until the day before or day of the sale to announce it. 

Anyone have any ideas about which is better? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
jimmielee00
Excursionist
53 0 4

We're giving like a week or two for promotion and awareness. Ex: if it is seasonal like Mother's Day or Father's Day so a lot of our patron knows. We are also alloting a decent budget for promotion (like FB ads) for awareness.

SEO_proagency
Tourist
20 0 2

Jimmie is right, he got the right solution.

Struggling with sales ?

• 650$ discount available for a limited time to rank top results in google.
  • First SEO agency made with shopify for shopify e-business owners.

Let us do the hard work. Click the link below to get started

https://seoproagency.myshopify.com

SEOproagency
0 Likes
Amanda_at_Re-Mi
Excursionist
22 0 7

Thanks!  And between when you start promoting the sale and when the sale starts, do you experience a big decrease in sales?  

0 Likes
Amanda_at_Re-Mi
Excursionist
22 0 7

@SEOproagency, Jimmie has a dropship store where it looks like things are often on sale.  We sell one product - our own line of shoes - and we don't put them on sale very often. They are also a higher price point. How does this change the formula?

0 Likes
Shopili_com
Tourist
42 0 1

Hi Amanda,

The answer to this is - Does your store have a strong brand following. Ie. Do most people that receive your email newsletters know who you are?

If you are a brand - I would definitely go with urgency via an email newsletter. This is something we test at Shopili a lot, and works for brands, but not more general stores. 

Formula is - Store with strong brand image + a contemplating customer + add in the urgency of free shipping offer (Id even go as far as to cut the time to 24 hours, with a secondary email going out **Extended free shipping due to high demand!**)

Really seems to work up conversion rates in our opinion.

Jo

Shopili.com

http://shopili.com Verified Shopify Experts
Amanda_at_Re-Mi
Excursionist
22 0 7

Thanks so much, Jo!  Yes, I'd say that describes us.  

Because of our differing opinions about this in the office, our sale is going longer this time (almost 4 full days) and our sales dropped significantly after the first 36 hours of the sale.  The 24-hour extension definitely sounds like a more effective way to do it next time!  Thank you -

Amanda

0 Likes
Jarrett3
Excursionist
32 0 4

Hey you do not want to annouce too early because people will obviously just wait for the sale instead. If you do it via paid traffic ads then you can announce the day of. If this is an organic play you will want to launch the ads about the sale about 2-3 days earlier but spam them almost make sure everyone sees them!

If you are looking for more free information on digital marketing checkout my facebook page www.Facebook.com/JarrettBelliveau I have done a few million on online sales over the last few years and don't charge anything for my content. I got fed up with all of these coaches scamming you guys for $5000 for a program that "makes you money" so I decided I will post all of my knowledge for free for you guys! My back ends are all on shopify and I show all of my numbers! Hopefully this helps!

You guys are buying programs from people who haven't done anything. They don't show you thier numbers or anything all they do is rent a lambo and air bnb a house... Check out my page im just starting it up and will be posting daily if all goes well! www.facebook.com/JarrettBelliveau 

0 Likes