How social should i be?

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

So I am in the early stages of my shop Casepirate.com.  I have setup fb, twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.  I've done the research on scheduling platforms and tried to automate some posts.  Even with all of the tools available...I still am having trouble finding enough time to dedicate to all 4 plus the site itself.  My thought is to go heavy with 1 social platform in the early stages and hope it trickles down to the others.  I am just a 1 man show, but is that a bad strategy to have? You always hear about the importance of being everywhere but that just doesn't seem feasible.  I would rather do 1 really well than 4 mediocre.  Any insight is helpful to me.  Thanks!   Stuart

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
166 0 31

Hi there Stuart,

Phil from the Shopify Support team here. Let me take a crack at this one!

I ran an online store for a few years with a small team of awesome people. We split the work amongst eachother. I was primarily the site administrator not handling a lot of the social media. We actually gave that to one of our teamates who did the same stuff as us but he had a small amout of time dedicated per day to it. 

Any content we created we tried to reuse it for social media to make life easier so we're not making two times the work. And we did focus on one social platform primarily. We tried to hook them all up together an automate them as much as we could but we were almost always using Instagram and Facebook in conjunction all the time with a lot less emphasis on other social platforms. So any content, like product photos we took we used to our advantage and posted those with Facebook and Instagram linked. If anything we focused on Instagram the most since it was the most popular amongst our ccustomer base. 

We were able to build a pretty large following which trickled into the other social platforms once you get the ball rolling! 

Hope you find some of this information useful. 

Thanks

Phil K
Customer Success Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
38 0 5

Hi Stuart,

Alex here, from the Shopify team. 

I definitely agree with your hunch to focus on fewer social media channels as you're getting started. When it comes to growing your online audience, quality over quantity is key. It's way better to create fewer more effective posts than fall into the trap of posting just for the sake of content volume. 

I recommend starting with the social media channel/s that are the most natural fit for your brand. Your products are really visual so Instagram and Facebook probably make a lot of sense. As your brand grows it will become apparent which social media platforms to add to your arsenal. 

You're right that being present on social media is important, but having a poor quality social presence can be more harmful than having none at all. Remember, "the medium is the message" so take that time to use each platform to showcase your brand to the best of its ability. 

Brands often make the mistake of recycling the same content across multiple social media channels, which sends the message that A) they're speaking with an inauthentic voice and B) there's no point to following multiple channels. Avoid mediocrity and shine brightly on one channel for now.  :)

If you're looking for some inspiration there are a tonne of Social Media posts on the Shopify Blog.

Good luck with your shop, and have fun getting social!

Alex
Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
128 0 17

Hey Stuart,

Scott here from Dawg Grillz / Think Scott Luscombe. www.dawggrillz.com where I sell awesome toys for pups and www.thinksl.com where I build awesome brands.

Dawg Grillz is much like your business, officially launched September 2015 with a $250 starting month. It's a tightly run ship with not a lot of time to do a lot of things. We're filling about 50-100 orders per day from our Shopify/Amazon channels and doing a little over $12,000/month in sales now split between consumer/retailer/distributor.

You're in a tough space, everyone is doing cases so it's tough to get ahead. Here's my advice, pick a niche and smash it on one social platform. Twitter isn't visual so kill that channel, Facebook is too complex and let's face it, no one follows phone cases unless there's a damn good reason. So let's audit what you're doing right instead.

IG is where it's at right now, and guess what, your viewers noticed you! IG is raining Cats and Dogs and you've got Cats and Dogs so adjust your brand and be the go-to niche for Dog and Cat related cases, once you've driven the traffic you can sell them other items. But people need to come to your site first.

Your customers already told you what they like with the more engaged posts, so give them what they like (but mix it up, the reason your other 2 dog products didn't do so well is because you posted basically the same thing 3 times).

Scott Luscombe

www.thinksl.com
scott@thinksl.com
www.dawggrillz.com
scott@dawggrillz.com

905-550-5023

Scott Luscombe www.thinksl.com scott@thinksl.com 905-550-5023
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Thanks Scott!

It is funny because I was just thinking that maybe I should just focus on the Dog Monster designs that seem to be getting good feedback.  This brings up another question about brand development.  I could see potential in expanding the products to other items (i.e. mugs, shirts, canvas prints etc.).  Do you think that the fact that I have set up the business as "Case Pirate" will work against me selling other items?  You make a good point that people need to come to the site first, so maybe it would be a good upsell opportunity for me....if they come to the site for a dog case, then I can upsell them with dog mugs..etc.  Im just brainstorming as I type.  

Stuart

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
128 0 17

Hey Stuart,

A lot of my clients try to get too broad too quickly and business becomes unmanageable. It's better to have a few great products rather than tons of separate items.

I can't really tell you EXACTLY what to do, but if you have a passion for pets and phone cases and that's your thing, then stay there. The problems with mugs is they're usually large, heavy and fragile. Your phone cases are light, easy to ship and can't really break in the mail.

You can have a great niche with 10-20 animal related cases, and about 10-20 pieces that compliment the brand.

Scott Luscombe

www.thinksl.com
scott@thinksl.com
www.dawggrillz.com
scott@dawggrillz.com

905-550-5023

Scott Luscombe www.thinksl.com scott@thinksl.com 905-550-5023
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 0 25

What I did is set up a HootSuite account to keep track of all the social networks, but focus on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I quickly found out that Facebook is by far the place to be for my business. This could be different for each company, but I still post items to all social networks, but I'm way more active on Facebook, just because that's where my customers are.

Try all of them, see how much interaction you get from each and go with the most popular one.

Funky Moose Records / PoppenWorks
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey Stuart,

We are a small company also, ( http://www.supercrossbmx.com ) and the social media can be daunting, but like Scott said, if you are only doing one social media platform, do Instagram and do it well. Make sure that you link the social media accounts so that you can feed a facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest feed as well as you never know where you may be getting EYES on your store and products

Let your customers feedback help direct you but don't deviate from your master plan.

And whatever you do, don't give up on your dreams.

Best of luck!!

Bill

supercrossbmx.com

dreamstudioguitars.com

thebmxraceshop.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hey there. First post here, been meaning to for a while (great community here), but this post really resonated with me. We're in a similar boat as Stuart, though we may be lacking an oar or two more than you.

We launched May 1 and have been "all blasters on full" for longer than that. We were overwhelmed by just where to start but ultimately ended up doing exactly what folks in this thread are saying. The information in this thread is super helpful. The suggestions from Phil, Alex, and Scott are what we've decided to do: focus.

We don't yet have much of a presence on IG or Facebook, but we have been posting with the 2 linked and have already had a few referrals for local wholesale (stockists) distribution come through those networks, plus some online sales. I completely agree about the visual aspect of IG for your product (and ours). We seem to be getting more traction on IG than other platforms. 

I don't have a lot to add beyond what's been said (and it's too early to tell if our strategy is working), but wanted to 1) say that I agree, and 2) get plugged into this conversation and community. The resources here have been fantastic and it's about time I contribute.

Bryan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Thanks for the feedback so far!  I have had some good success with Instagram and have even reached out to a few larger accounts and been able to run some giveaways and start to build my following.  Hopefully all of this hard work will eventually equate into my first sale..haha!  

1 Like