Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 1

@cmorales 

No other options??

0 Likes
Highlighted

All I can say is you have to work with your creativity. :D

If you want to optimize your title use Keyword Planner from Google. I hoped to it helps to you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
45 4 9

I can give you the code, but once again - I think this is a bad idea as everybody else who commented in this thread.

The actual code will depend on the theme you're using, but let's take the Debut theme as an example. In the theme.liquid file you'll find the following piece of code:

{%- capture seo_title -%}
    {%- if template == 'search' and search.performed == true -%}
      {{ 'general.search.heading' | t: count: search.results_count }}: {{ 'general.search.results_with_count' | t: terms: search.terms, count: search.results_count }}
    {%- else -%}
      {{ page_title }}
    {%- endif -%}
    {%- if current_tags -%}
      {%- assign meta_tags = current_tags | join: ', ' -%} – {{ 'general.meta.tags' | t: tags: meta_tags -}}
    {%- endif -%}
    {%- if current_page != 1 -%}
      – {{ 'general.meta.page' | t: page: current_page }}
    {%- endif -%}
    {%- assign escaped_page_title = page_title | escape -%}
    {%- unless escaped_page_title contains shop.name -%}
      – {{ shop.name }}
    {%- endunless -%}
  {%- endcapture -%}
  <title>{{ seo_title | strip }}</title>

What appears between the <title> tags is what the search engines are taking as your page title. If you read the code, you'll see that unless the current page is a search, the seo_title is almost identical to the liquid object page_title. You can see this documentation to learn more about it. In case you want your product pages to have longer meta titles, you can use the real product page title and not the meta one. You just need to change this:

{%- else -%}
  {{ page_title }}
{%- endif -%}

to this:

{%- elsif template contains 'product' -%}
{{ product.title }}
{%- else -%}
{{ page_title }}
{%- endif -%}

Hope this helps :)

Shopify Expert @ Sounds Good Agency
Like this answer if it helped you
✅ Mark it Accept as Solution to help others find the right answer
Book a Free Call if you want to discuss your project | Follow me @davidsimoes_
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 1

@David_SGA 

Well ,what about  the code for sectioned supply theme

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
45 4 9

@milu_balan 

In theme.liquid find the code:

<!-- Title and description ================================================== -->
  <title>
  {{ page_title }}{% if current_tags %}{% assign current_tags_joined = current_tags | join: ', ' %} &ndash; {{ 'general.meta.tags' | t: tags: current_tags_joined }}{% endif %}{% if current_page != 1 %} &ndash; {{ 'general.meta.page' | t: page: current_page }}{% endif %}{% unless page_title contains shop.name %} &ndash; {{ shop.name }}{% endunless %}
  </title>

{% if page_description %}
    <meta name="description" content="{{ page_description | escape }}">
  {% endif %}

And replace {{ page_title }} by:

{%- if template contains 'product' -%}{{ product.title }}{%- else -%}{{ page_title }}{%- endif -%}

Shopify Expert @ Sounds Good Agency
Like this answer if it helped you
✅ Mark it Accept as Solution to help others find the right answer
Book a Free Call if you want to discuss your project | Follow me @davidsimoes_
0 Likes
1 0 1

Like the OP of this thread, I do not like it when these things get enforced by a CMS.

What if Google changes how many characters get displayed? What if tomorrow they suddenly allow 100 characters for a meta title? It's unlikely, but not impossible.

And what if there's a different reason one would want to experiment with page title length? Sure it might be against SEO best practices, but surely I can decide myself whether I want to follow these best practices or not?

The better solution would be to just have a toggle setting somewhere where you can turn the character limit off and on, and sure add a warning to it for people who don't know much about SEO... but at least give people the option to do it? Sound reasonable?

1 Like